Hiring Summer Production Assistant – Must be returning to school in fall.
This position reports to Edmonton Opera’s Production & Technical Director and will work under the supervision of the Head Scenic Carpenter, Head of Properties, Head of Wardrobe, and the Production Coordinator.
This is an hourly position which falls under an agreement with the Canada Summer Jobs Grant and is subject to the terms and conditions set forth by the program. The duties of this position will not interfere with the scope of the I.A.T.S.E. Local 210 collective agreement. This position is temporary and non-reoccurring.
This position will be based out of EOA’s Production Facility, 15230-128 Ave.
- Starting May 15th, and ending June 23rd (6 weeks).
- Some flexibility may be allowed with these dates to accommodate the successful applicant taking other work.
- 35 hours per week, estimated hours are between 9am-5pm, some evening and weekend work may be required. Time exceeding 8 hours per day will be paid at the overtime rate.
- As this position is part of Canada Summer Jobs, the rate of pay is fixed at $17.00/hour, and is non-negotiable.
- A student enrolled in a post-secondary training program, studying Theatre Production, with intentions to return to such program (between years of study).
- A component of this position will be facility renovation work including: framing, insulating, drywalling, mudding and painting.
- It is strongly suggested this person have a vehicle. EOA will reimburse for KM’s as per the Employee Vehicle Usage Policy.
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision and follow detailed direction.
- Understanding of theatrical terms, building practices and theatre technologies.
- An aptitude for audio work is an asset.
- Willingness to work hard to meet deadlines.
- Adaptable to schedule changes.
- Knowledge of safe working practices and current basic first aid certification.
- Ability to show up on time and be prepared to work.
- It is essential that the successful applicant be able to work within EOA’s existing policies and procedures.
- The most important component for the successful hiring of an applicant is a demonstrated willingness to learn and the ability to promote an atmosphere of respect and mutual cooperation with the other employees of EOA.
Duties and typical tasks:
- Facility renovation projects including: framing, insulating & drywalling,
- Painting and repair work as required,
- Supervised carpentry work,
- Facility maintenance as required,
- Organizing supplies under direction,
- This position is highly physical: should be able to lift 40lbs without assistance,
- Assist in the set-up and operation of special events,
- Shipping and receiving general duties,
- Administrative paperwork,
- Possible need to create accurate drawings,
- Assist crew heads in facility organization,
- Assist the technical director in costing and preparation of main stage set-build,
- Assist with facility rentals as needed,
- Working from heights on ladders and vertical lifts, and
- Other duties as required.
To apply for this position please mail, email or fax your resume and any other pertinent information to Edmonton Opera, Attn: Production Department.
Mail to: Edmonton Opera
ATTN: Production Department
Edmonton, AB T5V 1A8
E-mail to: email@example.com.
Fax to: 780-429-0600 ATTN: Production Department (please include a cover page)
For further information on this opportunity, please contact Kris Aasen at 780-288-3952.
Deadline for applications is 4:30pm, Friday, April 21, 2017.
Only appropriate candidates will be contacted.
Interviews may be scheduled prior to the application closing date.
Edmonton Opera is an equal opportunity employer.