Accepting submissions for production and design team members for 2017-2018 season!
About Front Row Centre (FRC): Firstly, please be aware that FRC is a volunteer based organization and we do not pay fees or honorariums for any of these positions. If you are a member of a union or other organization that restricts your ability to volunteer for us in this manner, please understand that we are not able to pay any fees stipulated by these organizations.
We have a vision of each show having a supportive team with everyone being involved in as much as possible during the production period – or in other words the ideal that “we’re all in this together” is what makes this a success. As such, we expect our designers to also be builders and shapers, but also that we will work as a cohesive, and – most importantly – fun team to pull the show together!
FRC has been exclusively producing musicals in Calgary for over 25 years. Our rehearsals and performances are held at the Beddington Theatre Arts Centre, located at 375 Bermuda Drive NW.
Deadline to submit: April 2, 2017.
- Stage Manager
- Musical Director
- Orchestra Conductor
- Costume Designer
- Props Designer
- Set Designer
- Lighting Designer
- Sound Designer
- Hair & Makeup Designer
- Projection Designer
Potentially looking for the following:
- Assistant Directors
- Assistant Musical Directors
- Assistant Choreographers
- Assistant Producers
For descriptions of each role, please click here.
Note: Other supporting roles will be sent out in separate calls for each show at a later date.
About the Shows:
The Pajama Game
- Directed by: James Noonan, Produced by: Kristine Astop
- Run Dates: September 22nd – October 7th, 2017
- Design/Production Period: Starts immediately
If you want to be part of a high energy, sexy romp through the 50s, this show is for you. I’m looking for a larger than life but honest look at this innocent yet exciting time period. The core of the piece will be a super charged chorus, the likes of which the city has not seen, surrounded by a bevy of hilarious, sexy leads. I will be looking for a highly physical group of actors capable of doing moves that will stun our audience. From start to finish, our audience won’t be able to catch its breath! Sound like a fun time…is this your “once a year” show???
City of Angels
- Directed by: Darryl Lindenbach, Produced by: Darren Stewart
- Run Dates: January 12th – 27th, 2018
- Design/Production Period: Starts approximately July
City of Angels – a cinematically inspired production brings a number of exciting challenges to its creative team. The show is a stunning musical and visual journey, rooted in the film noir (dark film) genre of 40’s Hollywood. With a mix of sultry jazz, precise harmonies, and a movie score feel, City of Angels features a challenging storyline told through 37 scenes that will evoke the feel of ‘movie magic’. In film, a picture is worth a thousand words and here are a few to inspire our aspiring creative team members: cinematic, dark, sexy, quirky, high contrast, representative, quick, fluid, perspective (POV), layers and puzzles. See you in L.A.!
- Directed by: Kristine Astop, Produced by: Danielle Desmarais
- Run Dates: March 30th – April 14th, 2018
- Design/Production Period: Starts approximately September
Based on a 1991 independent film of the same name, Dogfight is a beautiful, unconventional love story that examines the themes of cruelty, misogyny, compassion, forgiveness and understanding. The focus of this smaller production will be to explore authenticity, honesty and sincerity – in the performances, in the designs, and the absolutely gorgeous music that our friends, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, have given us. While Dogfight may not be household name or full of glitz and glam, its gift lies within its heart – a heart that deserves to be sculpted by a passionate and enthusiastic team! Join the Dogfight team! Semper fi, do or die!
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
- Directed by: Mike Sornberger, Produced by: Matt Ryan
- Run Dates: June 15th – 30th, 2018
- Design/Production Period: Starts approximately December
Priscilla is the uplifting adventure of a glamorous Sydney-based drag trio who take their revue to the middle of the Australian outback. They hop aboard a battered old bus (nicknamed Priscilla) and head west to a soundtrack made up of disco and pop hits. This show offers unique and exciting opportunities in all areas of design, and I’m looking for a team that’s not afraid to get creative and think outside the box! From the titular bus that is as much a character as it is a set piece, to the remarkable visual art form that is drag hair and makeup, to the extravagant and unconventional costumes (a dress made of flip flop sandals, anyone?), to the numerous song-and-dance spectacles… if you aren’t shy about being big and bold, then this is the adventure for you!
How to Apply:
Send an e-mail to [email protected].
- Indicate which positions and shows you are interested in.
- If you are indicating a specific show or shows, please also indicate your willingness to consider the same position with the others.
- Please include a brief summary of any relevant experience.
- Don’t forget contact information.
- Please send your e-mail by April 2nd so that we can make decisions as soon as possible, in particular for The Pajama Game. We will be in communication by end of April at the latest.