Hiring Scenic Assistant for physically demanding position
The Scenic Assistant assists the Head of Scenic Art in building or procuring set pieces and properties, including some standard elements like flats, platforms and columns.
The position may involve significant manual labour and can be physically demanding. The Scenic Assistant should have a thorough knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for Stage and Film, and experience with scenic fabrication and materials like wood, welding, rigging, painting, fabric, stone, and landscaping.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining safety and tidiness in the workshop, on the site, and on set.
- Observing and improving areas and equipment that weather and time may damage.
- Understanding and promoting the requirements of the health and safety legislation relevant to their role.
- Collaborating with other members of the Scenic Art Department, as well as the Production Manager, Technical Director, or members of the Directing Team to construct, modify, prep, or repair props and set pieces.
- Pre-setting, operating, or striking set pieces, props, scenery, or effects during the run of the show.
- Emergency repairs and assistance for problems pertaining to the stage, set, props or effects during the run of the show.
- Assisting with backstage care and maintenance of props during the run of the show.
- Assist with Rigging and operating set pieces and effects during the run of the show, including (once trained) human load rigging.
- Assisting with the strike and end-of-season storage
Deadline to submit: March 28, 2017.