Theatre companies, collectives, and groups!
Apply to be part of 10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk! Create a 10-minute performance piece inspired by a Calgary neighbourhood. Perform your piece as part of the 10th anniversary Jane’s Walk festival in Calgary and receive a $400 honorarium as thanks for your participation.
The Initiative: Five groups will be selected to create and perform a 10-minute theatre piece as part of the Jane’s Walk festival in Calgary. The pieces will celebrate a Calgary neighbourhood and fit into the spirit of the Jane’s Walk festival.
- March 31, 2017, 5pm MST: Deadline to submit an application (as described below).
- April 4, 2017: At an evening community event at Theatre Junction GRAND, completed applications will be entered into a draw and five groups will be selected and assigned a Calgary neighbourhood. At least one representative of the group must be in attendance at the event to accept the offer or another group will drawn instead.
- The five selected groups have one month to create their 10-Minute Play for Jane’s Walk.
- Saturday, May 6, 2017: Each group will perform their piece at Theatre Junction GRAND.
- Sunday, May 7, 2017: Each group will perform their piece in their assigned neighbourhood – the inspiration for their piece.
- Each of the five selected groups will be given a $400 honorarium as thanks for their participation.
- Project partners can provide limited guidance on the neighbourhoods – including where to perform the piece on Sunday, May 7 – but this is mostly the responsibility of the groups themselves.
- 10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk can focus on any aspect of a neighbourhood and on almost any topic. Plays can be serious or funny, informative or exploratory, based on history or what’s happening right now; or any combination.
- 10-minute Plays for Jane’s Walk will be promoted as part of the 2017 Jane’s Walk festival weekend – but each selected group should also do their own promotion.
- 10 Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk is open to professional theatre companies and emerging groups, and non-professional community-based groups with a track record of creating and producing performances.
WHAT IS JANE’S WALK? Jane’s Walk is a global festival of free, locally organized walking tours through which people explore, talk about, and celebrate their neighbourhoods. Named after Jane Jacobs, an author and activist who championed a fresh community-based approach to city building, the walks take place around the world on the first full weekend of May.
In 2016, over 1,000 Jane’s Walks took place in 212 cities in 36 countries across 6 continents, including 68 Jane’s Walks right here in Calgary. This year’s festival, the 10th anniversary of Jane’s Walk in Calgary, will take place May 5 – 7, 2017. Jane’s Walk in Calgary is organized by the Calgary Foundation.
For more details on Jane’s Walk, please click here.
- Complete this application and add supporting documentation as indicated; combine into one PDF.
- Email the PDF to Lizzy@theatrejunction.com with the subject line “10-Minute Plays for Jane’s Walk.”
Deadline to apply: Friday, March 31, 2017, 5pm MST.