“POLONIUS & HIS CHILDREN” by Anna MacAlpine at 2017 Calgary Fringe Festival
Description: After their deaths in Hamlet, Polonius, Ophelia and Laertes reencounter each other in the afterlife. Secrets that were once deeply buried begin to arise as father, daughter and brother attempt to reconcile their pasts as they wander through the shadowy world they now inhabit.
Roles / Ranges:
- POLONIUS: (male, 50-60s): crotchety know-it-all who believes he knows best about everything, even when he doesn’t; hides secrets. (NOTE: It is more important that the actor is able to play Polonius and his age, and less important that the actors falls under the 50-60 age range.)
- OPHELIA: (female, late teens/early twenties): Polonius’ youthful, unhappy daughter who is very much aware of her own choices and the circumstances that led to her death; is very tired of being told what to do and how to behave.
- LAERTES: (male, early twenties): Polonius’ self-deprecating son; most things are a joke to him and he is very much done with his family’s antics.
- CHORUS: (any age, any gender): a remnant of the Shakespearean era who surveys the land and the characters that inhabit it.
Production Dates: August 4 – 12, 2017 in Calgary.
Audition Date: February 26 & 27, 2017 in Calgary.
For the audition, please prepare:
- One contemporary monologue between 1-2 minutes in length.
- A reading of a provided side to you in advance. This does not need to be memorized.
How to Apply: Submit an e-mail containing the following items to Courtney Charnock at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “POLONIUS & HIS CHILDREN” Auditions + the role you’d like to audition for and:
- a current head shot your résumé, outlining your previous theatre experience.
- your preferred time to audition.
Deadline to Apply: 12:00pm, February 25, 2017.
Blue Elephant Theatre is committed to reflecting our community in all of its diversity. We encourage actors from all cultures, races, ethnicities, and gender identities, mental and physical abilities to apply for an audition.
**If you are unable to audition in Calgary during the audition date and time, we may be able to set up a skype or audition tape audition for you instead.