Outstanding Artists for 2017 Lieutenant Governor of Alberta Distinguished Artist Award!
The Lieutenant Governor of Alberta Distinguished Artist Award is Alberta’s most prestigious recognition of outstanding achievement in the arts.
Up to three awards of $30,000 each are awarded every other year (odd years). Recipients also receive a hand-cast medal, a pin, a framed citation, and, where appropriate, a two-week residency at The Banff Centre Leighton Artists Colony.
The awards will be presented by the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta at a gala celebration at the Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity on Saturday, September 23, 2017.
Nominators: Any individual or organization may nominate artists for a Distinguished Artist Award. Self-nominations, posthumous nominations, and nominations from family members, however, will not be considered. Nominations are not carried forward from previous competitions.
Nominees: Must be:
- Canadian citizens
- Current Alberta residents or those who have had a significant connection to the province over time
- Artists who have achieved excellence in their discipline
- Arts supporters and builders who have contributed in a major way to the arts in Alberta
Definition of Arts: For the purposes of this award, Arts includes the following:
- The Performing Arts, including without limitation: the creators, composers, choreographers, interpreters, and performers in music, dance, theatre and opera.
- The Visual Arts, including without limitation: painting, print making, sculpture, performance and installation art, photography, new media and fine craft.
- Cinematic Arts, including without limitation: film and video drama, documentary and art film/video
- Literary Arts, both English and French, including without limitation: novel, short story, blended genres, poetry, drama and creative non-fiction
Nomination process: Online nominations require the following:
- Complete contact information for the nominee,
- Complete contact information for the nominator,
- A written case of no more than three pages detailing why the nominee should receive the award,
- A current CV for the nominee.
Award recipients are selected by a national adjudication panel overseen by Banff Centre, the awards secretariat.
Deadline to sumbit: Midnight MST, April 15, 2017.
Thank you in advance for helping to raise the profile of the arts in Alberta and ensuring Alberta’s artists get the recognition they deserve.
To learn more about the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta Arts Awards Foundation, visit artsawards.ca.