Seeking additional Cast Members for Spring Production!
Foote in the Door Productions presents Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Carousel, June 16-24 at the L’Unitheatre.
Synopsis: Carousel is Rodgers and Hammerstein’s classic and award winning musical adaptation of Ferenc Molnar’s play, Liliom. When brash carousel barker Billy Bigelow and millworker Julie Jordan fall in love, little do they realize that Billy’s rebellious ways will result in tragedy. Billy is given a chance to make good, and mend old wounds. Is it too little too late, or will a lucky star save him and those he loves? Voted best musical of the 20th century by Time Magazine, this timeless classic features gorgeous music including ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ and ‘If I Loved You’. It’s easy to understand why, of all the shows they created, Carousel was Rodgers & Hammerstein’s personal favorite.
If you are interested in auditioning for the role of LOUISE and/or male/female ENSEMBLE, please contact us at email@example.com to book an audition slot.
Casting is inclusive; however we cannot engage equity members. All performers are volunteers.
Director: Mary-Ellen Perley
Musical Director: Stuart Sladden
Stage Manager: Gaby Phaneuf
Choreographer: Ainsley Hillyard
Assistant Director: Rhiannon Perley-Waugh
We will have evening technical rehearsals from June 12 to June 15, 2017 and performances from June 16 to June 24, 2017. There is a matinee on June 18. June 19 and 20 are dark.
We are looking for strong, trained voices, and a dancing/movement background. The ensemble will also be playing various non-speaking roles. Juggling/clown skills would also be an asset for some ensemble work. The role of Louise is a speaking role and sides will be provided ahead of time if requested. This role also requires a dancer with strong dance background; singing is not a major requirement for this role. We strongly suggest that you familiarize yourself with the script and music.
- Date: Tuesday, February 7, 2017.
- Group Audition times: 7:00pm, 8:00pm, and 9:00pm.
- Audition Location: 14920 128 Ave. (To get there take St. Albert trail to 128 Ave. Turn left and cross 149 St intersection. The building is in a strip mall on your right. It is called Charity Solutions. OR come up via 159 St. and turn right at 128 Ave. The strip mall will be on your left.)
- What to expect: You will be asked to sing a short selection from Carousel provided at time of audition sign up, or 32 measures of a song of your choice. Please come prepared for some movement.
- What to Bring:
- 1) Please prepare a song as indicated above.
- 2) Please have the song memorized and have your song performance ready (i.e. tell the story, don’t just sing the song).
- 3) We will accept either sheet music to be used by our trained accompanist or voiceless tracks on mp3/iPhone.
- 4) Please bring headshot and resume.
- 5) NO ACAPELLA SONGS, PLEASE
- Wednesday and Thursday evenings, 7:00 – 10:00 pm; Sunday afternoons 1:00 to 5:00 pm.
- The first read through is Sunday, March 12, 2017 from 6-10 pm. There will be character work scheduled individually or in pairs with ensemble members to flesh out characters they would be playing. These will be for the most part non-speaking roles or with only 1 or 2 lines. However, everyone in the show will be expected to have developed a character or two depending on how the extra parts are allocated. (The 1 on 1’s will consist of a 1 to 2 hour session with the director and assistant director and will take place in February 2017).
Roles available through this process:
- Louise: (must have ballet experience and needs to read on stage as late teens).
- Male and Female Ensemble: towns people, carnies, sailors, girlfriends, young men and women (need singing and dancing experience) various ages.
- *All other roles have been cast at this time