Seeking Interim Artistic Director February 2017 to December 2017
Application Deadline: Sunday, January 1, 2017.
Start Date: Monday, January 30, 2017.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Term: Full-Time Contract.
Native Earth Performing Arts, Canada’s oldest professional Indigenous theatre is seeking an Interim Artistic Director while the current Artistic Director is on artistic hiatus. This term for this position is February to December 2017. Working closely with the Managing Director, the candidate is one half of a two-person team leading the company. The Interim Artistic Director reports to the Board of Directors.
Native Earth is a non-profit charitable organization that enables Indigenous actors, writers, designers, directors and technicians to work together to produce quality theatre that is vital to their development as artists and to their identity as Indigenous people. We are dedicated to creating, developing and producing professional artistic expression of the Indigenous experience in Canada. Native Earth manages Aki Studio a performance space in the revitalised Regent Park.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Implements the artistic vision and strategy with a focus on season programming, selection of artists, creative teams, and the development and production of new works.
- Articulates the role of the company in the cultural fabric of the city and the country.
- Ensures that artistic programming and company activities reflect an Indigenous experience.
- Oversees the development of new Indigenous work.
- Oversees the recruitment, hiring and development of Indigenous artists and other staff.
- Participates in the company’s activities through his or her artistic practice.
- Participates in the artistic and cultural communities through advocacy, committee work, panels, workshops, etc.
- Participates in public events that will raise the profile of the company, Indigenous performing arts and artists.
- Works collaboratively with the Managing Director to ensure that day-to-day operations of the company are effective and aligned with the company’s vision, mandate and strategic plan.
- Participates in all fundraising activities (from fundraisers and grant writing to cultivating private sponsors).
- Assists in the creation of accurate and realistic budgets for every aspect of the programming of the company.
- Implements an evolving strategic plan that includes liaising with Daniels Spectrum and Regent Park community.
- Experience leading a not-for-profit arts organisation or 5 years in a senior administrative position.
- Experience in working with and engaging a Board of Directors.
- Extensive knowledge of the national and international Indigenous artistic community.
- Fundraising, grant-writing, marketing and management experience will be an asset.
- Leadership in creating new artistic and audience development initiatives with an eye to revenue development and fiscal sustainability.
How to Apply:
Applications from all qualified Indigenous candidates are welcome.
Interested parties should submit by email a single file (PDF or Word format) with the title format as LastName_FirstName.pdf to [email protected].
This single document should include:
- a cover letter,
- CV or resume,
- three professional references.
Please send your email with the subject line “Interim AD Search.”
Applications must be received by Sunday, January 1st, 2017.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. No telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential.