Local guest director needed for SCPA, U of Calgary’s 2017-18 Season
The Drama season for 2017-18 will consist of 21st century plays or creations. We are seeking a guest director for our first production which will commence rehearsals on Sept. 25th and will open on Nov. 24th, 2017.
- Graduate student designers will be assigned to the production as their thesis projects; and undergraduate performers will audition to fulfill the roles in the production. As a matter of policy, Drama holds open auditions to the entire UofC student body. The stage managers and running crew will come from courses in the BFA Drama program.
- The production will be staged in the Reeve Theatre. Rehearsal hours per week cannot exceed 24 and student participants must be given one day free from rehearsal per week.
- Drama will provide the usual production support to our mainstage: 1 scenic carpenter, 1 properties master, 1 head of wardrobe and 1 stitcher. Student production assistants will be assigned duties on the production as needed and will fulfill roles from wigs and make-up to prop building and costume breakdown. A budget for materials will be provided.
To apply, please provide the following:
- A statement of interest (3 pages max.) indicating the artistic investigation and any specific creation and/or rehearsal methods or techniques that will be explored/employed. We encourage candidates to suggest up to 3 scripts they would be interested to direct. We are specifically looking for 21st century scripts with casts of 15-25 people.
- Details (author, publisher, year) of each script proposed or link to an online version, with an indication of the cost for the educational rights to the performance and if those rights are currently available.
- A CV highlighting directing credits and previous work with undergraduate students.
- A dossier or portfolio of recent work and productions of note.
Deadline for proposals: January 5, 2017.
Drama at SCPA will set interviews with potential guest directors in mid-January with a decision for Feb. 1, 2017. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for interviews.
Please send submissions to: