Good Host Project Lead Contract Position for December to March 2017
Position: Project Lead – Good Host Audience Accessibility and Inclusion
- December 2016 – March 2017: Flexible, part -time, independent work.
- March 5 -11: Evenings of performance.
Contract Fee: $1500.00.
Deadline to submit: November 18, 2016.
What you will do: Inside Out Theatre recently revised our mission to include “Working to improve accessibility for audience members with disabilities or who are Deaf, and to ensure their equity and dignity in attending performing arts in Calgary.” The Good Host Project falls under this umbrella.
As Project Lead you will work with the Artistic Director to develop and deliver audience accessibility and inclusion initiatives. You will research and compile wise practices employed elsewhere, and consult local organizations and people to learn how to best adapt these practices to Calgary. You will lead three initiatives during Inside Out Theatre’s presentation of Assassinating Thomson by Bruce Horak, and Downstage Theatre’s production of Crime Does Not Pay by Kris Demeanor and David Rhymer.
- ASL interpreted performances of Assassinating Thomson for Deaf or Hard of Hearing patrons.
- Pre-performance Touch Tours prior to Assassinating Thomson for Blind or visually impaired patrons.
- A Relaxed Performance of Crime Does Not Pay for audience members who would benefit from a more relaxed environment, which may include those with sensory concerns, autism spectrum disorders, learning disorders, dementia or anyone for whom the regular theatre experience can be challenging.
With the Artistic Director you will develop promotional materials and make direct invitations to community groups, organizations, or people who may require these measures.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is Kind and Welcoming.
- Has a sincere interest in increasing inclusion and accessibility.
- Is comfortable and reliable working independently.
- Is comfortable in reaching out to people in person or by phone.
Other experiences we’d like to hear about, but are not absolutely required:
- Experience identifying, or being identified, as disabled.
- Experience working with, living with, and/or being friends with people living with disabilities.
- Experience with theatre production or arts-based community engagement.
We value Accessibility and Equity: If you are interested in applying but there is a barrier or hurdle holding you back, whether due to a disability or any other reason, please let us know. We will work with you to remove or overcome any barrier you may be facing. We aspire to have our company, it’s employees and volunteers, reflect the community we work with.
About Inside Out Theatre:
- Inside Out Theatre is a disability theatre company in Calgary. We offer community based drama programs to adults with disabilities that foster a love of theatre, the joy of community, and the rewards of self expression.
- We make new plays created by artists with disabilities and their allies that insist on and celebrate their valuable place in the public sphere.
- And we work to improve accessibility for audience members with disabilities or who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, and to ensure their equity and dignity in attending performing arts in Calgary.
Contact: To apply please e-mail a letter to Col Cseke that explains why you’d like to join us and what about you would make for a great Good Host. You can also attach a resume if you like. E-mail email@example.com, or if you prefer, call Col at 403-828-4801.