Synopsis: Carousel is Rodgers and Hammerstein’s classic and award winning musical adaptation of Ferenc Molnar’s play, Liliom. When brash carousel barker Billy Bigelow and millworker Julie Jordan fall in love, little do they realize that Billy’s rebellious ways will result in tragedy. Billy is given a chance to make good, and mend old wounds. Is it too little too late, or will a lucky star save him and those he loves?Voted best musical of the 20th century by Time Magazine, this timeless classic features gorgeous music including ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ and ‘If I Loved You’. It’s easy to understand why, of all the shows they created, Carousel was Rodgers & Hammerstein’s personal favorite.
Foote in the Door Productions is looking for strong, trained voices, dancing/movement background and acting ability to bring these characters to life. Juggling/clown skills would also be an asset for some ensemble work.
- For sides or a perusal copy of the script, please contact us at [email protected].
- For audition inquiries, contact director Mary-Ellen Perley at [email protected].
- To sign up online, please click here.
Casting is inclusive; however we cannot engage equity members. All performers are volunteers.
- Technical rehearsals: June 12 to June 15.
- Performances: June 16 to June 24 w/ matinee on June 18. June 19 and 20 are dark.
- We strongly suggest that you familiarize yourself with the script and music.
- Sunday, December 4 2016 from 6:00 to 10:00pm.
- Monday, December 5, 2016 from 6:00 to 10:00am.
- Monday, December 12, 2016 from 6:00 to 10:00pm.
- Not everyone will be required to attend; those who will be required to attend will be contacted individually.
- Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 7:00 – 10:00pm
- Sunday afternoons from 1:00 to 5:00 pm.
- Rehearsals start the week of March 12, 2017.
- Character work will be scheduled individually with actors in major speaking roles during the month of February and the first week in March. (This will consist of a 2 hour one-on-one session with the director and assistant director).
Audition Location: HI-Edmonton Hostel (10647-81 avenue NW).
Callback Location: TBA
- Director: Mary-Ellen Perley
- Musical Director: Stuart Sladden
- Stage Manager: Gaby Phaneuf
- Choreographer: Ainsley Hilyard
- Assistant Director: Rhiannon Perley-Waugh
What to expect: You will be asked to sing a prepared song preferably from Carousel and then read a side from the script – both corresponding to the role for which you are auditioning. Being familiar with the script is advantageous.
What to Bring:
- Please prepare a song as indicated above.
- Please have the song memorized and have your song performance ready (i.e. tell the story, don’t just sing the song).
- We will accept either sheet music to be used by our accompanist or voiceless tracks on mp3/iPhone.
- Please bring headshot and resume.
- NO ACAPELLA SONGS, PLEASE
- Carrie: (Julie’s friend) early 20s
- Mrs. Mullin: (owner of the Carousel) mid 30s
- Nettie Fowler: (Julie’s aunt) 40s to 50s
- Enoch Snow: (Carrie’s beau) late 20s early 30s
- Mr. David Bascombe: (owner of the mill, a powerful man in the community) 50s to 60s
- Jigger Craigin: (a disreputable character) mid 30s
- Louise: (must have ballet experience and needs to read on stage as late teens)
- Starkeeper/Dr. Seldon/Policeman: mid 40s to 50s
- 1st Heavenly Friend/Juggler: mid 30s
- Captain/ Principal: mid 50s to 60s
- Enoch Snow Jr. (needs to read on stage as late teens)
- Ensemble: towns people, carnies, sailors, girlfriends, young men and women (need singing and dancing experience) various ages.
Please note: The roles of Billy and Julie have been cast prior to this process.