Alberta Playwrights, Karen Hines & Michaela Jeffery, make Tom Hendry Awards Short Lists!
Playwrights Guild of Canada (PGC) proudly announces the short lists for its 2016 Tom Hendry Awards. The short lists for the Carol Bolt Award, the RBC Emerging Playwright Award, as well as the Stage West Pechet Family Comedy & Musical Awards were released on September 16 by their respective juries.
Carol Bolt Award – 2016 Short List: This award is given annually for the best work by a PGC-member that has premiered in the past year. This year’s Carol Bolt Award is in loving memory of both David and Carol Bolt.
JURY: Vern Thiessen (Chair), Amy House, Hope McIntyre, and Jivesh Parasram.
- Lisa Codrington (ON) for Up the Garden Path,
- Kate Hennig (ON) for The Last Wife, and
- Karen Hines (AB) for Crawlspace.
Stage West Pechet Family Musical Award – 2016 Short List: This award is given annually for a new musical work by a PGC-member, which has not yet had a premiere production.
JURY: Beau Dixon (Chair), David Abel, Tracey Power, and Joe Slabe.
- Steven Gallagher (Co-creators: Linda Barnett) (ON) for Pollyanna,
- Brian Hill (Co-creators: Neil Bartram) (NY) for You Are Here, and
- Kent Staines (Co-creators: Akiva Romer-Segal and Colleen Dauncey) (ON) for Prom Queen.
Stage West Pechet Family Comedy Award – 2016 Short List: This award is given annually for a new comedy by a PGC-member, which has not yet had a premiere production.
JURY: Diane Flacks (Chair), Philip Adams, Micheline Chevrier, and Londos D’Arrigo.
- Briana Brown (ON) for Robert,
- Leanna Brodie as translator (writer: Rébecca Déraspe) (BC) for You Are Happy, and
- Kristen Da Silva (ON) for Gibson & Sons.
RBC Emerging Playwright Award – 2016 Short List: This award is given annually for the best play by a PGC-member who is an emerging playwright.
JURY: Marilo Nunez (Chair), Alexis Diamond, Ryan Griffith, and Sherryl Melnyk.
- Rhiannon Collett (BC) for Miranda and Dave Begin Again,
- Geoff Goodson (ON) for Trapped in the Mouth of a Dog, and
- Michaela Jeffery (AB) for The Listening Room.
For play synopses, artist bios, and jury bios, please visit the PGC website.
Playwrights Guild of Canada is a registered national arts service association mandated to advance the creative rights and interests of professional Canadian playwrights, promote Canadian plays nationally and internationally, and foster an active, evolving community of writers for the stage.