Contract Opportunity for Music Director / Educator – G&S Junior Theatre School
Morpheus Theatre is seeking a music director/educator for its G&S Junior Theatre School program. This is a contract position beginning mid-October 2016 until mid-May 2017 (approximately 50 to 60 hours of classroom time). The remuneration for this contract is set at $2000.
The G&S Junior Theatre School works with youth age 9 to 17 to produce a Gilbert and Sullivan production each May at The Pumphouse Theatre, on the set of the Morpheus Theatre mainstage production.
The program began five years ago and since it’s inception has doubled in size–building a strong community of young artists while fostering a love for the works of Gilbert and Sullivan. Working within the spirit of community theatre, the program is inclusive and works to develop the skills of young artists in a safe, fun and inspiring environment.
The program has two classes running concurrently Saturday mornings from 10am to 11:30am (October to January) and 10am to 12pm (February to May). Two dress rehearsal and two performances will take place during the first two weeks of May.
The successful candidate will have:
- A strong love of musical education,
- A passion for inspiring young artists to work towards their performance potential,
- An appreciation of Gilbert and Sullivan experience working with and supervising youth,
- Ability to play the piano and accompany singers, and
- A current police information check/vulnerable sector search for employment.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Theatre School Coordinator/Acting Director to develop the course plan for the season,
- Facilitate weekly classes based on the plan,
- Work with the Theatre School Coordinator/Acting Director to deliver upon the vision for the show, select and teach the music for the show,
- Create preparatory materials for the students to practice,
- Ensure a safe environment and proper use of vocal techniques for all participants, and
- Assist the students in reaching their potential.
For more information on the program, please click here.
If you have any questions or are interested in applying, please email the Theatre School Coordinator at the address below. Applications should include your resume and a cover letter outlining your experience and your artistic practice. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Theatre School Director
Deadline for Applications: September 15, 2016.