“Once Upon A Christmas” seeking actors for original Opera House radio play.
Christmas On The Airwaves (A Farcical Thriller)
Written By: Garry Buzzard & Trevor Matheson
Play Run Time: 30 minutes
Synopsis: After radio icon Max Hertz’s death just before Christmas of 1924, his family needs to decide what to do with his radio station. Should they perform the scheduled A Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve with hopes for a renewed sponsorship from their advertisers? Or, will they sell it to Ms. Phyllis Winterbottom, only to watch her tear it down? This 30min comedy will make you fear, tear, wince and wail, revealing behind the scenes mayhem of what makes Christmas radio magic.
CAST OF CHARACTERS:
- Max Hertz (40+): A recently deceased radio personality. Quick, sarcastic, punny narrator (personality inspired by the Gennie from Aladdin). (No mobility required.)
- Crystal Hertz (16-25): Smart and responsible. The oldest daughter to Max Hertz.
- Petunia, or “Tune” Hertz (8-16): Fun and adventurous. The younger sister to Crystal Hertz.
- Charlie Hertz (40+): An old relic of the vaudeville stage often talking about his wild performance ventures ‘back in his day’. Brother of Max, married to Amphelia.
- Auntie Amphelia (40+): A practical lady and retired performer. The bitter and estranged wife of Charlie Hertz.
- Phyllis Winterbottom (40+): A grumpy, jilted woman plotting to ruin the Hertz family for good. The ex-lover of Max Hertz.
- Sunday, Sept 25, 2016 @ 6pm-10pm
- Monday, Sept 26, 2016 @ 4pm-10pm
- Please clearly indicate with your submission your availability for the audition dates. Auditions will be held at Heritage Park.
- Max Hertz, Charlie Hertz, Auntie Amphelia: One larger-than-life story, no longer than 2min in length. Preferably with multiple character voices.
- Crystal Hertz, Phyllis Winterbottom: One monologue, no longer than 2min in length.
- Petunia, or “Tune” Hertz: One monologue no longer than 1min in length. One song, no longer than 1min in length. (Please bring your own accompaniment. A CD player or a headphone jack will be provided. No accapella.)
- * Please prepare the character-specific requirements, depending on the character you wish to audition. Additional sides may be sent if selected to audition. *
- Rehearsals will begin Wed, Sept 28 and will continue until the first performance on Sat, Nov 19.
- There will be 2-3 rehearsals a week and will consist of evenings (6:30pm-9:30pm) and weekends subject to the cast’s availability.
- Rehearsals will be held at Heritage Park.
- Sun, Nov 13 (1pm-5pm) = Cue to Cue
- Wed, Nov 16 (6:30pm-9:30pm) = Tech Rehearsal
- Thurs, Nov 17 (6:30pm-9:30pm) = Dress Rehearsal
- Fri, Nov 18 (6:30pm-9:30pm = Preview for Saturday Cast)
- Sat, Nov 19 (6:30pm-9:30pm = Preview for Sunday Cast)
- There will be 4 performances a day in the Opera House at Heritage Park on Saturdays & Sundays.
- Call time will be 10am.
- Shows will be at 11am, 12pm, 1pm & 2pm.
- Performers will be released after hanging their costume from their last performance of the day (around 2:45pm).
- The show will be double cast. We will have a Saturday cast and a Sunday cast. If you wish to be considered to perform both Saturday and Sunday shows, please include that in your submission.
- November 19/20
- November 26/27
- December 3/4
- December 10/11
- December 17/18
Persons submitting must be available for either all the Saturday performance dates or all the Sunday performance dates. No exception.
CASTING PERSONS IN ATTENDANCE: Artistic Liaison – Trevor Matheson, Director – Melissa Dorsey, Assistant Director – Garry Buzzard
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: Friday, Sept 23, 2016 @ 5pm.
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: Interested actors, please send the following via e-mail to Trevor Matheson at [email protected]:
- Character in which you’re interested,
- Any availability conflicts for the audition times, rehearsal or performance dates,
- Subject line “HP 2016 Christmas Audition Submission.”
Only those selected to audition will be contacted with an audition time. Heritage Park is committed to diverse, inclusive casting. Christmas On The Airwaves is a volunteer performance contract. Equity members will not be seen at these auditions.
Photograph courtesy of Brad Hunter.