Seeking two to three Board Directors for next phase of development.
Theatre BSMT is a not-for-profit professional theatre company that has been connecting emerging and professional theatre artists in Calgary for the past eight years. Our shows have been nominated for numerous Calgary Critic’s Awards, and many of our emerging artists have evolved into highly respected theatre professionals contributing to Calgary’s theatre industry. We are completing an organizational and artistic restructuring which will position our young company for sustainable growth as we set out to deliver our new mandate: Providing dynamic, challenging and immersive horror theatre to Calgary audiences.
To assist us in our next exciting phase of development, Theatre BSMT is seeking two to three Board Directors to join our board.
- Up to six hours per month (meetings, preparation, consultation),
- Attending regular board meetings (4 to 5 per year),
- Participation on board committees (Finance/Audit, Fund Development, Strategic Planning).
Term and Compensation:
- Two years, renewable,
- Volunteer position (no compensation).
- Board members are responsible for the effective governance of the organization to ensure consistence with its vision, mission, strategic direction, and adherence to its core values,
- Ensure the compliance of by-laws and Society Act,
- Contribute to the financial stability through financial oversight and fundraising initiatives.
Qualifications: We are seeking community-minded volunteers with the following personal traits, skills and expertise:
- Passion for live theatre and a commitment to Theatre BSMT’s mandate,
- Understanding of board governance principles and the ability to apply them appropriately to a small, growing not-for-profit arts organization,
- Experience in strategic planning,
- Diverse professional and personal networks and a willingness to engage those networks in the events and programming of the organization,
- Willingness to contribute time, energy, and resources to our fundraising initiatives,
- Business experience or education an asset,
- Legal experience or education an asset,
- Governance and previous board experience preferred but not required.
General Duties: Each member of the Board of Directors is expected to do the following:
- Prepare for meetings by reading agendas, minutes, reports and other documentation required to actively participate in meetings,
- Work as a team member and support board decisions,
- Review, clarify and amend the mission and objectives of the organization as necessary,
- Develop, amend and approve bylaws and governing policies outlining key financial, staff/personnel, client services and board practices as necessary,
- Monitor the performance of the organization,
- Participate in hiring and evaluation of the Artistic Director,
- Understand and monitor the organization’s financial affairs,
- Participate in the recruitment of new board members,
- Seek out and participate in professional development experiences to help improve understanding of the theatre community to better meet board responsibilities.
This is an exciting opportunity for both experienced Directors and early/mid-career professionals to gain valuable board governance experience while contributing to the organizational development of one of Calgary’s leading young professional theatre companies.
Qualified and interested individuals are encouraged to contact Amy Dettling, President by email firstname.lastname@example.org.