Technical Director needed for Arts Centre Scene Shop & Performing Venues!
The Technical Director plays a key role in managing the operation and maintenance of the Arts Centre Scene shop and performing venues. The Technical Director works collaboratively with Arts Centre facility users including (but not limited to) Theatre, Music, Film and liaises with both internal and external professional clients. Through supervision and coaching/guidance, this position ensures maximum potential for student success while adhering to Theatre and Entertainment Production (TENT) course structures and standards, for TENT students in Stagecraft and TENT production builds.
Supervising/Mentoring Practicum Students:
- Supervises/advises students pursuing work studies involving stage carpentry, rigging, scenic carpentry, props, etc.
- Advises faculty on the evaluation of TENT Students’ performances.
- Management of technical elements of theatre, materials, support and place to work is secure,
- Determines the necessary technical supports, such as lighting, sound, staging, and special needs necessary for events and performances presented at the facility in advance of production dates.
- Determines costs and usage of technical equipment required for the individual show, and supervises the implementations of approved technical designs.
- Participate in production meetings as required.
- Analysis of project drawings to determine cost and feasibility.
- Assists with the preparation and control of production budgets.
Building Arts Facilities Projects:
- Supervises and assists with set and stage construction and management.
- Designs, engineers, builds, and installs rigging, performer flying apparatus, stage elevators and other mechanical, pneumatic, or motorized systems needed for TENT productions and instructional demonstrations.
- Problem solve unique situations related to the design and execution of sets.
Maintain Arts Centre Scene Shop & Arts Facility Equipment:
- Develops and performs a preventative maintenance plan for Scene Shop and Art Facility equipment.
- Performs emergency repairs to all Scene shop and Arts Facility equipment.
- Maintains inventory of Scene shop and Arts Facility supplies.
- Purchases inventory and supplies as needed.
- Purchases equipment and tools for Facility as needed.
- Assist Arts Facilities Manager with projects.
- Two (2) to three (3) years related experience.
- Two (2) years of post-secondary training in Technical Theatre.
- Must be skilled and have demonstrable experience using carpentry and welding tools.
- Demonstrated experience in rigging.
- Experience using stage automation and motorization.
- Ability to read blueprints is essential.
- Must have strong problem solving skills.
- Interpersonal and communication skills that allow the individual to work with many different people.
- Ability to adapt to frequently changing situations.
- First Aid.
- Fall Arrest Certification.
- Aerial Platform Certification.
- Valid Driver’s License is required.
- Three (3) year undergraduate degree, three years of University or equivalency in Theatre Studies or related subject.
- Experience using lighting and sound equipment would be an asset.
- Previous experience mentoring of students or apprentices would be an asset.
- Experience using AutoCAD or Vectorworks is preferred.
This competition will close on July 27 at 11:59pm.
How to Apply: For more information on this position, and to apply, please click here.