GHOST RIVER THEATRE SEEKS GENERAL MANAGER
Ghost River Theatre is accepting applications for the position of General Manager. The position will commence August 2016 in Calgary AB. The deadline for application has been extended to July 15 at 5:00pm MST. Please email applications to the attention of the Hiring Committee at play[at]ghostrivertheatre.com with subject line: General Manager Application.
About the position: The General Manager reports to the Board of Directors, and works closely with the Artistic Director on short and long-term planning and is responsible for the day-to-day management of the company, as well as the main producing needs for shows and workshops. Responsibilities of the General Manager, both shared and individual, may include:
Show Production: The producing and administration of our season, including:
- The contracting of all creative and technical personnel;
- Planning and execution of marketing and promotion;
- Correspondence and negotiation with Canadian Actors’ Equity Association;
- Coordination of ticket sales and reporting;
- Volunteer coordination;
- Program creation;
- Coordination of rehearsal and performance venues.
- Preparation of the annual budget, in conjunction with the AD and BoD;
- Cash flow updates;
- Preparation and management of monthly financial statements;
- Bill payments and assistance with bookkeeping;
- Support audit and preparation of annual financial statements.
- Grant writing and reporting;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of fundraising strategies and opportunities, including individual donations, sponsorships, corporate donations, fundraising events, foundation grants, and in-kind donations;
- Preparation of donation receipts.
- Request and manage website updates;
- Oversee office lease, supplies and equipment o work with the BoD and AD to support and manage GRT’s role in the West Village Theatre Joint Venture Agreement
Board of Directors:
- Communicate with the BoD about artistic and financial commitments;
- Attendance at board meetings;
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of staff reports for the board meetings.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A minimum of three years of experience in theatre administration;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Producing and budget management experience;
- Ability to read financial statements and other accounting documents;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong document management skills;
- The ability to manage the needs of a small but decidedly ambitious theatre company;
- Experience collaborating with artists;
- Good project management skills;
- An entrepreneurial attitude and a high level of self motivation.
This is a part time position. The successful applicant will be expected to put in approximately 20-30 hours a week depending on activities. Exact scheduling is flexible, and may demand more of the applicant in production months, and less in others. The Salary for this position will range between $24,000 to $28, 000/year, dependant on experience.
Interested applicants are asked to apply by email. Applications can be sent to the attention of the Hiring Committee at play[at]ghostrivertheatre.com with subject line: General Manager Application. Please submit a cover letter and current resume.
Deadline to Apply: July 15, 5:00pm MST.
About Ghost River Theatre: Led by Artistic Director Eric Rose, GRT is a devised theatre company that creates, develops and mounts original productions through a significant investment in imaginative research and development. We make our work in a rigorous collaborative-creation environment that recognizes and utilizes the unique abilities of all participants, premiering our work in Calgary and then touring it nationally and internationally. Our work embraces a hybrid of high tech visual spectacle with low-fi theatrical magic. As Jessica Goldman of CBC Radio stated “…no one is better at mounting a totally unique and exquisitely creative piece of work than Ghost River Theatre.”
In addition, GRT is one of three resident companies that jointly manage The West Village Theatre, an 80 seat blackbox theatre located in the inner-city neighbourhood of Sunalta. Over our 25 year history, our unique creation process has yielded an impressive roster of critically acclaimed productions: Mesa, Eye for an Eye, ONE, The Highest Step in the World, The Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst, Tomorrow’s Child, amongst many others. With a keen desire to create, to engage and to push the boundaries of live performance, GRT has established itself firmly as a leader in the Calgary, Alberta, and national cultural ecologies.