Term position for Cultural Programming Manager for City of St. Albert!
As Alberta’s ‘Botanical Arts City’, St. Albert is a community renowned for its botanical arts, its commitment to a green lifestyle and the cultivation of activities that provide for a well-rounded quality of life. Our employees provide over 63,000 residents with high-quality programs and services and are proud to contribute to making St. Albert one of the best places to live in Canada.
The Cultural Services Department is currently recruiting for a Cultural Programming Manager to join the team for a term assignment. St. Albert is well known for its’ vibrant arts and cultural and this is an exciting opportunity to be actively involved in the cultural planning and development in our community. The Department is making good progress with the implementation of the Cultural Master Plan approved in 2012. There are a number of exciting initiatives underway to continue to nurture and develop cultural programs to meet the current and future needs of our community. We are looking for an individual with strong leadership experience and background in cultural programming and planning to join our team.
Serving as part of the Cultural Services Management team and reporting to the Cultural Services Director, the Cultural Programming Manager is responsible for the management and development of visual arts, public art, performing arts and performance programming as well as volunteer management for the International Children’s Festival. The manager is responsible to liaise with community cultural groups to provide guidance and support, and also help guide our own cultural programming to ensure we are meeting the current and future needs of the community.
Knowledge and experience in the following areas is considered an asset:
- Visual Arts programming and exhibitions in the public realm, including public art;
- Long term performing arts development plans;
- Producing new works, and local, regional & national connections in the cultural industry;
- Connections to francophone, indigenous and other ethno-cultural communities in the region;
- Staff supervision and development including coaching and mentorship experience.
As part of the Cultural Services management team the manager will assist in the development of agenda reports, departmental budgets, monthly and quarterly reports as well as responding to information requests generated by Council, Senior Management and the public. They will also provide leadership for the programming team including the Professional Programming Presenter, Performing Arts/ Children’s Theatre Coordinator and the Visual Arts Coordinator.
- An appreciation and passion for arts and culture.
- Experienced leader able to inspire and motivate others.
- Experience in cultural planning and development.
- Degree or diploma in Arts Administration, Business Administration, Recreation or a related field.
- The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience across a breadth of areas including: arts and cultural management and volunteer management.
- Excellent staff supervision and leadership skills.
- Project management skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Well developed interpersonal skills and the ability to form collaborative relationships.
- This position requires political sensitivity, conflict resolution abilities, and negotiation skills.
- Creativity and an active imagination.
- Positive attitude and an excellent sense of humour.
HOURS OF WORK: Compressed work schedule of 72 hours bi-weekly (Monday – Friday, 8:00 – 5:00 with a regular day off every two weeks).
TERM: October 3, 2016 – June 15, 2017
COMPENSATION: $95,734 – $116,474 per annum. In addition, the City of St. Albert offers a generous and comprehensive flexible benefit package.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a clear vulnerable sector police information check.
APPLY: Qualified applicants are invited to submit their cover letter and resume via the City of St. Albert Employment website.
CLOSING DATE: July 8, 2016.