GHOST RIVER THEATRE SEEKS ARTISTIC ASSOCIATE INTERN!
Ghost River Theatre (GRT) is accepting applications for the one-year position of Artistic Associate Intern. The position will commence July/August 2016 in Calgary, AB. The deadline for applications is May 30th at 5:00pm MST. Please email applications to Artistic Director Eric Rose at email@example.com with subject line: Artistic Associate Intern Application.
About Ghost River Theatre: Led by Artistic Director Eric Rose, GRT is a devised theatre company that creates, develops and mounts original productions through a significant investment in imaginative research and development. We make our work in a rigorous collaborative-creation environment that recognizes and utilizes the unique abilities of all participants, premiering our work in Calgary and then touring it nationally and internationally. Our work embraces a hybrid of high tech visual spectacle with low-fi theatrical magic. As Jessica Goldman of CBC Radio stated “…no one is better at mounting a totally unique and exquisitely creative piece of work than Ghost River Theatre.”
In addition, GRT is one of three resident companies that jointly manage The West Village Theatre, an 80 seat blackbox theatre located in the inner-city neighbourhood of Sunalta.
Over our 25 year history, our unique creation process has yielded an impressive roster of critically acclaimed productions: Mesa, Eye for an Eye, ONE, The Highest Step in the World, The Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst, and Tomorrow’s Child amongst many others. With a keen desire to create, to engage, and to push the boundaries of live performance GRT has established itself firmly as a leader in the Calgary, Alberta, and national cultural ecologies.
About the position: The Artistic Associate reports directly to the Artistic Director and Managing Director. Responsibilities of the Artistic Associate, both shared and individual, may include:
- Supporting the Artistic Director in all aspects of season programming and planning.
- Assisting with the planning and implementation of our devised creation processes and new play development. Depending on the candidates artistic skill set there may be the opportunity to participate directly in the creation/rehearsal process.
- Contributing to strategic planning, organizational development and ongoing operational activities, particularly marketing, social media, publicity, grant writing and fundraising activities.
- Act as GRT’s registrar for our Devised and Technical Intensives along with fostering creative relationships to develop, plan, and implement additional educational and outreach programming based on our season of activities.
- Production management and occasional administrative support (eg. attend West Village Theatre Board Meetings, project budget reconciliation, Front of House, etc.).
- Serve as an artistic spokesperson and advocate for GRT in the community and at national networking events.
- Helping to build contacts and relationships with other performing arts organizations in Calgary, Alberta and nationally/internationally with a view to collaborations, touring, co-productions, and/or residencies.
- Attending theatre performances – both locally and nationally– on the look out for exciting new talent and work, and keeping abreast of relevant developments nationally, within the arts in general and within theatre in particular.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Passion and curiosity for exploring and pushing the boundaries of live performance.
- Experience collaborating with artists.
- Producing and budget management experience.
- Good project management skills.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- An entrepreneurial attitude and a high level of self motivation.
- An understanding of alternative theatre making processes and the challenges and demands of producing unique innovative live performance.
The successful applicant will be keen to represent Ghost River Theatre in the local, national and international performing arts community, and in helping shape the future of Ghost River Theatre under the leadership and vision of the Artistic Director.
This is a three-quarter-time one-year contract. The successful applicant will be expected to put in approximately 30-35 hours a week depending on activities. Exact scheduling is flexible, and may demand more of the applicant in production months, and less in others. The Salary for this position is $22 000/year.
Interested applicants are asked to apply by email to Artistic Director, Eric Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00pm MST on May 30, 2016 with the subject line: Artistic Associate Intern Application. Please submit a cover letter, which outlines your passion, career goals, and any unique skills or experiences you possess (artistic, producing, and/or administrative), as well as a current resume and the names and contact information of two references. In your cover letter please include one paragraph on what you believe to be the future of Canadian performance and your role in creating that future.
Applicants must have at least two-years of professional theatre experience in any discipline (directing, acting, design, stage management) or a multi-disciplinary practice. The ideal candidate is eager to contribute and excited to learn with a particular interest in the creation, production, and touring of original performance.
Deadline to Apply: May 30, 2016.