And More Shenanigans Theatre is excited to announce auditions for our brand new musical, The Grave Digger!
The Grave Digger will premiere at the 2016 Edmonton International Fringe Festival from August 11- August 21.
About the Company: And More Shenanigans Theatre is dedicated to quirky original works. We develop shows from scratch and work with all kinds of artists. This will be our second original musical to premiere at the Edmonton International Fringe Festival.
About the Show: The Grave Digger follows a talented fine arts student who is unknowingly suffering from schizophrenia. Her best friend has recently died and she has been hearing and seeing her for about a month. This leads her to believe that she is a medium. Once her father kills someone in jail her symptoms become unbearable, destroying her relationships and greatly risking her career. The show will balance drama and comedy but will focus on real symptoms and issues surrounding schizophrenia.
- Abby: Abby is an ambitious, kind, and talented fine arts student who is unknowingly suffering from schizophrenia.
- Annabelle: Is Abby’s deceased best friend and schizophrenic hallucination. She starts off very sweet but eventually becomes a terror and pushes Abby to her limits.
- Dineen: Dineen is a strong, sarcastic fine arts student who manages to hide inappropriate content in all of her paintings. She is Abby’s close friend/roommate, and becomes confused and frustrated by Abby’s strange behaviour.
- Clara: is a high strung, quirky fine arts student who never seems to get the recognition and marks she deserves. She is one of Abby’s good friends and is one of the first people to notice when Abby starts withdraw.
- Kim: is Abby’s mother. She is a strong, loving woman who is desperately trying to hold her family together. Her husband is in jail and she often has to deliver difficult news to her daughter.
- Patricia: is an older woman who is terrified of birds. She believes she is able to communicate with the dead and convinces Abby that she has been given the same gift. Patricia is often aloof and light hearted, but she is stern in the advice she gives Abby. Patricia’s well-meaning advice often leads Abby to her demise.
- Vincent: is a Fine Arts professor at the University of Alberta. Vincent has arranged that the top student of his last year will get to paint for a new art gallery. Vincent is usually pretty tough on his students but he and Abby have developed a friend like relationship. As Abby’s symptoms worsen their relationship starts to disintegrate.
- Mark: is Abby’s long term boyfriend. He is usually down to earth and kind, but his past experience with bad relationships often cloud his judgement and affect his relationship with Abby. As Abby suffers more challenges Mark becomes increasingly more suspicious and frustrated.
- Puck: Puck is an eccentric, enthusiastic fine arts student who seems unable to take direction. No matter how harsh the criticism he always seems to misunderstand and take it only as a compliment.
- Billy: Is a disturbed, yet energetic, schizophrenic hallucination. Once Abby digs up Billy’s grave for delusional reasons, he and his many finger puppets continuously harass her in an attempt to get back what is his.
This is a seven person cast so Dineen/Patricia, Clara/Kim, and Puck/Billy will be double cast.
About the Auditions:
- Auditions will be held on Wednesday, May 4th and Friday, May 6th from 7:30PM-10:00PM in the upper level of Workshop West. (11516-103 St).
- Please prepare a monologue and a song from a theatre production. Please bring a back track in the form of a USB or CD. If you have it saved on your phone you can bring that in as well.
- You may also be asked to read a side from the script.
- To inquire or book an audition time please email your head shot and resume to Erin at email@example.com.
If you are unable to make either audition date, please let us know and we will try to accommodate you. Rehearsals Rehearsals will start on May 25, 2016 and be on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights from 7:00PM-10:00PM.
Deadline to respond is May 3, 2016.