Alberta Playwriting Competition Revamped for 50th Anniversary!
The Alberta Playwriting Competition is the longest running provincial playwriting competition and is celebrating its 50th Anniversary in 2016. In celebration of its 50 years the competition has been revamped and the Grand Prize has grown to be $5,000.
“We felt that by increasing the cash prize, we’ll be raising the profile of the competition and the winning play,” says Neil Fleming, President of the Board of Alberta Playwrights’ Network (APN). As well as selecting the winning play, the jury will also select a shortlist of five notable works. “The shortlist allows us to announce and fete a larger group of Alberta playwrights…which widens the scope and reach of the plays, writers and communities represented in the event,” says Fleming.
Other Alberta Playwriting Competition changes include a new discretionary jury prize known as “The Novitiate Prize” for the work of an unproduced playwright.
- It is open to all playwrights who reside in Alberta, whether they are members of the Alberta Playwrights’ Network or not.
- All scripts must not have had, nor will receive, a public production prior to March deadline
- All scripts must written in English
- The Grand Prize winner will receive $5000.00 and a potential workshop/reading of the play.
- At its discretion the jury may select an additional play from and unproduced playwright and offer the Novitiate Prize. This prize will include dramaturgical assistance from APN to that playwright in the form of an ACT ONE service or complimentary participation in one WORDSHED session.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT IS MARCH 31, 2016.
FIND OUT MORE: www.albertaplaywrights.com
Contact: Trevor Rueger (Executive Director, APN)
Toll free: 1-800-268-8564
The Alberta Playwriting Competition is presented in association with Theatre Alberta.