AUDITION NOTICE: Walterdale Theatre Associates Present CHESS
AUDITIONS: APRIL 10-11, 6:00 PM – 10:00 PM (as scheduled)
WALTERDALE THEATRE: 10322 83 Avenue
CALL BACKS: TBA
PERFORMANCE DATES: JULY 6 -16
DIRECTOR: Kristen M. Finlay
MUSIC DIRECTOR: Sally Hunt
CHOREOGRAPHER: Bethany Hughes
STAGE MANAGER: Glenna Schowalter
Synopsis/Description: At the height of the Cold War, two great chess masters – an American and a Russian – meet to battle for the world championship. Caught in the middle is one woman. More than a game, more than a love story – it’s the story where sacrificing pawns to win the game might just lose you the match. Chess is one of the greatest musical theatre scores of all time with One Night in Bangkok, You and I, Pity the Child, Anthem, and I Know Him So Well.
- Prepare a contemporary musical theatre piece (post 1970). We would like to see a piece that shows compelling storytelling and character. A Ballad or dramatic song is better than a comedic choice. Bring Sheet music and we will provide accompaniment.
- You will be asked to read short scenes from the script with other auditioners.
- Dance portion of audition will be held at callbacks.
- Headshots and resumes are recommended but not required.
REHEARSAL NOTES: When you book your audition, you will be sent a sheet with potential rehearsal dates. Please bring this completed to your audition. If you do not bring it in, we will assume you are available for all listed dates. You MUST be available for all rehearsals/performances from June 25th to close of show.
CHARACTER NOTES: (ages are per script – flexibility will be applied, it’s more about the chemistry. The director encourages submissions from artists who self-identify as diverse.).
- Florence – Strong belt voice (to E), mid 30s woman – clever, theatrical, vivacious, volatile
- Freddie – Rock Tenor (to C), mid 30s man – arrogant and temperamental, a genius
- Anatoly – Baritone (to G sharp), early 40s man – Russian, unexpectedly charming, intelligent, passionate
- Molokov – Bass (down to F sharp), 50s+ man – Russian, formidable, father-like, strong actor
- Svetlana – Strong belt voice, late 30s woman – Russian, domestic, wholesome, contrast to Florence
- Walter – Bass-baritone (down to G Sharp) – 50s man, American, seemingly trustworthy, strong actor
- Arbiter – Rock High Baritone (up to A) – Can be played by a man or woman, slick, smooth, quick tempered
- Gregory Vassy – Baritone – 50-60s+, Florence’s father, strong actor
- Young Florence – 4 years old – could be an older child who looks younger (may be double cast)
- Ensemble (8-12) – various roles, as cast – the show requires strong singers who can act and move well
Copies of the script are available for reading at Walterdale. Contact the Theatre Administrator at email@example.com to sign one out.
Deadline to Apply: April 10, 2016.
TO BOOK YOUR AUDITION PLEASE CONTACT Kristen Finlay at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780.406.1256 (email is preferred).
Walterdale is a volunteer/member organization. We cannot engage Equity performers.