Call For Assistant Stage Managers!
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is currently accepting applications for the positions of Assistant Stage Manager for our 2016 Summer Production. The ASM roles are quite unique at the Passion Play as we are a professionally supported community theatre company on a filmic scale. Our stage is over a kilometer from SL to SR and rises in elevation more than 100′. The cast is approximately 200 performers, depending on the year, and 95% are volunteers. The rehearsals and performances happen outdoors on our stage in all kinds of spring and summer weather with as much tech as possible from day one. The successful applicant will be working with a team of 4 to 7 Directors as part of a team with 4 to 6 ASM’s and one Head Stage Manager. Because of our size we have additional titles for our ASMs; like Back Stage ASM, Technical ASM, Crowd ASM, etc… Passion Play ASM’s should be comfortable working around animals.
Some of the duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist with registration and other welcome weekend activities.
- May move around with rehearsals, take blocking, sit on book and line read for missing actors and supervise volunteer helpers working backstage.
- May be responsible for liaising with wardrobe and the volunteer performers to arrange costume fittings, costume modification needs and proper wear instruction.
- May be responsible for liaising with Props or Set and the performers to arrange technical rehearsals, proper use instruction and potential modification needs.
- May be responsible for liaising with the Crowd Director to keep track of their general and specific blocking and inform them of cueing issues, conflicts or necessities.
- May determine changes that will need to happen throughout show, determine who needs help and work with wardrobe to come up with a schedule to a) talk and walk through quick changes b) plan which dresser will be where.
- May assist in getting performers into and out of quick changes at the appropriate times and places as well as calling / signaling any cues to performers given them by the SM.
- May assist in getting the correct props in and out of performers hands at the appropriate times and places as well as calling / signaling any cues to performers given them by the SM.
- May be responsible for assisting with the costume returns immediately following the final show of the season.
- Responsible for assisting in end of season strike and winter storage.
- Standard ASM duties and other associated duties as required.
This is a contract position that is full time (5 day weeks), on site in Drumheller, AB, from early May through late July. The Passion Play is not preferential to either Union or Non-Union professionals. We can never be a CTA theatre company but we have hired Equity professionals under Guest Artist Policies Contracts in the past.
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is one of Canada’s largest outdoor theatrical events. A not for profit, charitable organization in its 23rd season, the company annually depicts the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in dramatic form. With mixed cast of roughly 200 volunteer and professional performers, live animals and permanent middle eastern set structures on a massive outdoor stage, The Passion Play is an epic story told on an epic scale.
Please submit digital resumes to [email protected] no later than February 5th, 2016. If you have questions please do not hesitate to contact the email listed above.