Call For Head Stage Manager!
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is currently accepting applications for the position of Head Stage Manager for our 2016 Summer Production. The Head SM role is quite unique at the Passion Play as we are a professionally supported community theatre company on a filmic scale. Our stage is over a kilometer from SL to SR and rises in elevation more than 100′. The cast is approximately 200 performers, depending on the year, and 95% are volunteers. The rehearsals and performances happen outdoors on our stage in all kinds of spring and summer weather with as much tech as possible from day one. The successful applicant will be working with a team of 4 to 7 Directors and is responsible for leading a team with 4 to 6 ASM’s.
Some of the duties include but are not limited to:
- Oversee, manage and coordinate the stage management team as a whole. Communicate changes needed regarding props, sets and costumes during rehearsals; cuts, additions, problems, design needs.
- Record the timing of each as it relates to the script and other aspects of the performance as the sound, SPFX, and set change cues are developed.
- Maintain the prompt book, which contains all cues, technical notes, blocking and other information pertinent to the show.
- Recording the blocking and ensuring that cast members stay on script, have the requisite props, and follow the blocking during rehearsals.
- Responsible for helping establish the show’s rehearsal schedule and ensuring that rehearsals run on time.
- Documents each rehearsal in a rehearsal report.
- Once the house opens for a performance, the stage manager controls all aspects of the performance by calling the cues for all transitions and acting as communications hub for the cast and crew.
- After the show opens, the stage manager is also responsible for calling brush-up, put in and understudy rehearsals to make sure that the show’s quality is maintained.
- Ensures that actor, set movement, FX and sound cues are acted upon at the right time by issuing verbal or visual standby and prompt calls.
- Assist with the end of show strike and winter storage.
- Other associated duties as required.
This is a contract position. It may have a small amount of preliminary satellite hours starting in early March through April but is full time (5 day weeks), on site in Drumheller, AB, from early May through late July. The Passion Play is not preferential to either Union or Non-Union professionals. We can never be a CTA theatre company but we have hired Equity professionals under Guest Artist Policies Contracts in the past.
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is one of Canada’s largest outdoor theatrical events. A not for profit, charitable organization in its 23rd season, the company annually depicts the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in dramatic form. With mixed cast of roughly 200 volunteer and professional performers, live animals and permanent middle eastern set structures on a massive outdoor stage, The Passion Play is an epic story told on an epic scale.
Please submit digital resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 5th, 2016.
** If you have questions please do not hesitate to contact the email listed above.