Governor General’s Literary Awards – Submission Guidelines Available Now!
The Canada Council for the Arts is committed to equity and inclusion, and welcomes applications from diverse Aboriginal, cultural and regional communities, and from people with disabilities.
Please refer to the complete Submission Guidelines.
The Governor General’s Literary Awards are given annually to the best English-language and the best French-language book in each of the seven categories of Fiction, Literary Non-fiction, Poetry, Drama, Children’s Literature (text), Children’s Literature (illustration) and Translation (from French to English).
- 15 March: for both English and French
- 1 June: for English only
- 15 July: for French only
- 7 August: for English only
Publishers must submit books as early as possible to ensure that members of the peer assessment committees have sufficient reading time.
- Books published in English between 1 September 2013 and 28 February 2014 must reach the Canada Council no later than 15 March 2014.
- Books published between 1 March 2014 and 15 May 2014 must reach the Canada Council no later than 1 June 2014.
- For books and bound proofs published between 16 May 2014 and 30 September 2014, the deadline is 7 August 2014.
If the deadline falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, it moves to the next business day.
Books must reach the Canada Council for the Arts by the deadline date. Late submissions, incomplete submissions and registration forms submitted by fax or email will not be accepted.
- Authors/translators/illustrators of winning books receive $25,000
- Non-winning finalists receive $1,000
- Publishers of winning books receive $3,000 to promote the book
Deadlines for Submissions: March 15 for both English & French, June 1 for English only, July 15 for French only, August 7 for English only.
Further Information: Program Officers, Writing and Publishing Section – 1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414, and the extension: