2016 RBC Emerging Artists Mentorship Program
Through the generous support of the RBC Foundation, we are launching our 2016 RBC Emerging Artists Mentorship Program. This program is designed to provide individual and project development through mentorship from our roster of professional playwrights. The program is meant to support emerging and mid-career playwrights who have a dedication to refining their craft, their product and the art of playwriting.
● Applications for the program will be accepted until Monday, January 4, 2016.
● Participants must come with a play or an idea for a play they wish to work on through the mentorship.
● Participants must be or become a member of Alberta Playwrights’ Network.
● Participants will be selected by the Mentorship Committee and APN Staff.
● There are 10 available spots (5 in Calgary, 5 in Edmonton). Residents from other communities are encouraged to apply as well. Once selected, participants will be matched with a mentor. There will be an event in February where participants will have an opportunity to meet their mentor face to face, as well as meeting the other participants in the program.
● The program will last from February to July of 2016 (a six month term).
● There will be a minimum of 8 meetings throughout the mentorship. Due to the variety of individual schedules, mentors and participants will decide on their own schedule of meetings.
● There will also be two group meetings and at least one professional development event in each city. Participants will be expected to attend these meetings and events. The program culminates in a public presentation of excerpts from the plays worked on through the process in both cities.
Applicants are asked to submit the following:
● A cover letter which should include:
– a synopsis of their history as a playwright
– a list of goals and outcomes they wish to attain through the program
● A brief synopsis of the project they wish to be developed through the process
● A writing/production resume (if you have one)
● A shortlist of your favourite plays & playwrights
● Payment of a $25.00 application fee. (If you are selected, this fee will go towards your program tuition. If you are not selected, the money will be refunded to you.)
Applications and payment of application fee can be mailed to: Alberta Playwrights’ Network #208 – 331 – 41st Avenue NE Calgary, AB T2E 2N4 Attn: Mentorship Program
Applications will also be accepted by email at [email protected], but will not be considered complete until the application fee is received.
● Course Fee: $200.00 (this is to cover space rentals, administration and other program expenses)
The first meeting of the group will take place in February.
● Calgary – February 8, 2015 (7pm) – APN Offices – #208 – 331 – 41st Avenue NE
● Edmonton – February 15, 2015 (7pm) – TBA
This first meeting is your opportunity to meet your mentor face to face and to network with the rest of the participants. If you have any further questions or require more information, please do not hesitate to email [email protected], with the subject line: RBC Mentorship Program. Or check out our website: www.albertaplaywrights.com