Technical Director (Temporary)
DJD is looking for a Technical Director for its next production, “The Gravity Players”. The ideal candidate is an experienced theatre technician who has experience working in a technical capacity in theatre and dance, and possesses strong management and administrative skills. The Technical Director will be responsible for the effective coordination of activities associated with production personnel, designers and artistic staff and will embrace DJD’s mission and act in the best interest of the organization at all times.
About DJD: Decidedly Jazz Danceworks (DJD) was formed in 1984 with a mission to preserve, promote, and evolve the art of jazz dance. The DJD professional company is a full-time, creation-based company that generates two to three new productions annually. In April 2015 the DJD Dance Centre will open. A 40,000 sq ft custom built building with 6 studios and 240-seat studio theatre.
Terms: This is a full time, short-term, contract-based position for 4 weeks in November with approximately 160 hours. Hours will consist of 2 weeks of office hours, 1 week of tech, and 1 week of show calls. The Technical Director reports to the Production Manager.
- Providing leadership to the Production team prior to and during the creation and performance of each production.
- Maintaining the artistic quality and design intent of all production elements as created by the Designers and the Director of each production.
- Act as the primary liaison between DJD and theatre technical staff.
- Researching, securing and contracting production suppliers as required for each production. Purchasing all production department supplies and equipment.
- Oversee and/or assist the PM in picking up and delivery of technical equipment.
- Assist the PM in the maintenance and care of the studio floors and equipment.
Skills & Attributes:
- Valid class 5 driver’s license; experience driving large transport trucks (up to 24’ cube), an asset but not mandatory.
- Experience running IATSE union crews.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Organizational and scheduling skills.
- Computer literacy in Word, Excel, Qlab etc.
To apply, please send a brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org before Noon MST, October 23rd, 2015.
Deadline to apply is Noon MST, October 23th 2015