Theatre Prospero seeks a full-time General Manager to work with the Artistic Director in the management of overall operations for the organization. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager is an essential member of the team and provides central coordination for the company.
Established in 1996, Theatre Prospero’s mandate is to create, and to foster the creation of, mythic, classical and poetic theatre and other art for students and others through productions, residencies and festivals.
Although primarily focused on Shakespeare, Theatre Prospero has also produced other plays including Greek plays, adaptations of Charles Dickens’ and Dylan Thomas’ works, as well as developing new Canadian productions including Maggie Now Parts 1-4 and Blood Opera: The Raven Tango Poems. Based in Edmonton, Alberta, Theatre Prospero provides Artist in Residence programs for schools around Alberta, offering students opportunities to act in Shakespeare’s plays with professional mentorship. Theatre Prospero also offers student matinees and public performances of plays in Edmonton. Theatre Prospero’s will be developing a major production in the upcoming seasons, a commissioned aboriginal adaptation of Macbeth to be co-produced with Akpik Theatre of Yellowknife.
In collaboration with the Artistic Director, the Board, and external contract resources, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for operating the theatre company. Specific duties include:
• Perform book-keeping and accounting duties such as processing payroll, accounts payable, receivable, deposits, donations, reconciling transactions.
• Prepare and analyze financial data for reporting purposes.
• Maintain the financial system to the utmost standards and ensuring financial records are organized, up to date and adhere to legal retention requirements.
• Prepare, monitor and revise the operating budget in conjunction with the Artistic Director.
• Liaise with the company’s accountant to produce the annual Notice to Reader and ensure associated federal taxes and deductions are paid in a timely manner.
Human Resource Management
• Create job postings.
• Screen and assist in hiring casual non-artistic staff and student interns.
• Create, negotiate and maintain contracts with artistic and non-artistic staff.
• Oversee artistic and non-artistic staff hours.
• Supervise non-artistic staff work.
• Recruit and train volunteers as required.
• Devise and implement fundraising activities.
• Organize AGLC casinos including applying for casino license, filling out and submitting require applications, recruiting and scheduling volunteers, end of casino reporting and ensuring volunteers are thanked appropriately.
• Identify and pursue funding opportunities available to the organization.
• Manage and assist the Artistic Director with grant applications and reports and ensuring applications and reports are submitted in a timely fashion.
• Identify, cultivate and maintain relationships with potential and current individual and corporate donors and sponsors.
Marketing and Promotion
• Manage the Theatre Prospero website and social media activities.
• Assist with the Theatre Prospero newsletter and other marketing and promotional activities as needed.
• Collect statistical information for CADAC and grant activity reports.
• Book space as required for artistic activities such as auditions, rehearsals and performance.
• Assist where required with arranging of billeting, meals, transportation, and documentation associated with tour company travel.
• Communicate with and liaise with schools regarding residences before, during and after residences.
• Guide teachers through the Alberta Foundation for the Arts Artists in Residence grant applications.
• Communicate with lead artists and technicians on a regular basis regarding needs for tours.
Update and maintain client database.
General Office Duties
• Manage office correspondences.
• Oversee purchasing of office supplies and equipment.
• Maintain and ensure information on Theatre Prospero website is up to date and accurate.
• Maintain Theatre Prospero Calendar of Events.
• Submit annual return to Alberta Corporate Registries and ensure account is in good standing.
• Maintain CADAC account.
• Attend board meetings as required.
• Represent the company in the community at events and performances.
• Other duties as reasonably required.
The ideal candidate will have:
• Experience in management of not-for-profit or cultural organizations.
• Have knowledge of theatre production and/or the professional performing arts touring and presenting milieus.
• Proven leadership capability.
• A successful track record in fiscal management.
• Be self-motivated, take initiative and a strong team player, but be able to work autonomously.
• Have experience in grant writing, fundraising and marketing.
• Have computer skills including: Microsoft Office Suite, skill and experience in managing website and social media platforms, database systems experience, and computerized accounting skills.
• Strong interpersonal communication (oral and written) skills are essential.
• The General Manager will be expected to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
Hours and Compensation
Hours will vary depending on the time of year and can range from 20-40 hours per week. This is not a salaried position. The General Manager will be paid an hourly wage, to be negotiated with the Artistic Director and Board of Directors.
How to Apply
Theatre Prospero is an equal opportunity employer and invites all interested candidates to apply for this position.
Please send a current CV, and cover letter detailing your interest in working with Theatre Prospero and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org (with subject line: GM position application)
Submission deadline: September 15, 2015
Start date: Ideally, October 1, 2015.