Thanks for your interest. This position has now been filled.
Job Posting: (Head Scenic Carpenter)
Our aim at Alberta Theatre Projects is to make life more beautiful by creating and producing great contemporary theatre from Canada and beyond. Our work is about what’s now, what’s new and what’s next. In the welcoming oval of the Martha Cohen Theatre, right here in Calgary, we stretch as deep as life, as wide as the world.
Alberta Theatre Projects is seeking a Head Scenic Carpenter for the 2015/16 season.
This is an annually renewable contract position. Specific work dates will vary by season. 2015-2016 season work dates are July 27, 2015 – April 3, 2016.
Job Description/ Duties
• Preliminary planning & drafting of construction drawings for the seasons’ designed scenic elements
• Scheduling the build in conjunction with the Technical Director
• Creating a final materials purchase list for each production
• Construction and installation of all scenic elements for the 2015/16 season
• Supervising all additional labour required for the completion of all scenery
• Attend production meetings, staff meetings, technical rehearsals, and note sessions as scheduled
• Read all scripts for ATP productions prior to the first day of build.
• Collaborating in maintaining a safe shop, communicating repair and supply requirements.
• Experience with theatrical scenic construction including a wide range of materials.
• Experience with Vectorworks and all associated programs is an asset
• Broad working knowledge of scenic carpentry and metal fabrication/welding construction techniques using major shop tools
• Good organizational and communication skills
• Ability to interpret set design drawings and communicate required changes
Alberta Theatre Projects is one of Canada’s leading contemporary theatres. We are in residence in the Martha Cohen Theatre (a 400 seat proscenium/thrust theatre) at Arts Commons (formally the Epcor Centre for the Performing Arts) in the heart of downtown Calgary, Alberta. We produce from September through May. Our season is busy; our workplace is dynamic; the work on our stage is exciting and wide-ranging in style, process and artistry. We’re seeking a great team member to help us achieve our artistic goals and take ATP into the future. Check out our website at www.atplive.com.
Working conditions and wage shall be governed by Collective Agreement with I.A.T.S.E., Local 212.
Please send a letter of interest, an up-to-date CV, and a list of three references to David Fraser, Production Manager at [email protected] THIS POSITION HAS NOW BEEN FILLED. Interviews will begin May 1st and the posting will close once a successful candidate is found. We thank everyone for their interest, but only those short listed will be contacted.