City of Airdrie RSS Feed Position ID: J0215-0034
Job Title: THEATRE TECHNICIAN
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Bert Church Theatre
Number Of Positions: 1
Closing Date: February 11, 2015
Min Salary: $42,086.00/Year
Max Salary: $52,608.00/Year
The City of Airdrie fosters a culture of accountability and values open dialogue, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit, collaborative relationships, learning, ownership, and encouraging the heart. We are searching for another team member who will help us get to the next level.
Business Unit Information:
As part of Community Services, the Bert Church Theatre enhances the quality of life of residents by facilitating community partnerships to provide opportunities that contribute to an economically strong, socially connected, culturally vibrant, and sustainable community.
Primary Accountabilities Include:
City of Airdrie is seeking a full-time Theatre Technician, responsible for the technical operation (lights and sound), support of rental events, and general maintenance of the Bert Church Theatre (BCT) facility. The Theatre Technician also provides technical support for special events and activities in the City of Airdrie. This position will report directly to the Theatre Team Leader.
Working in partnership with the Theatre Team Leader and Rental Coordinator, the Theatre Technician is responsible for the technical running of all BCT professional presentations and rentals. They will play an important role as liaison with user groups
Responsible for participating in the running of special events and other City-sponsored events and activities
Responsible for the technical coordination and general maintenance of the BCT facility
Responsible for training and supervising technical volunteers
Responsible for assisting with the development and long-term planning of the BCT venue and for providing the Theatre Team Leader with ongoing input on the effective use of the facility
Responsible for participating as an active and contributing member of the Community Services department and the City of Airdrie
Assisting the Theatre Team Leader with the implementation and supervision of the facility’s Safety Program
Special projects and other duties as assigned
- Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience
- A minimum of two years of technical training with experience in the operation of theatrical lighting, sound and staging equipment
- Highly-developed interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work with performing artists, renters, volunteers, school employees, and members of the public
- First Aid, CPR (or willingness to become certified) would be considered an asset
Skills and Attributes:
- Have a positive and optimistic attitude and work well within the team
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision in a team environment
- Aptitude for quick thinking and problem solving
- Ability to anticipate and problem solve technical sound and light requirements
- Proven ability to provide exceptional customer service
- Ability to identify and provide technical equipment in response to customer required needs
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Climb ladder and work from heights (ie catwalk and man lift)
- Must be able to perform duties in low light conditions
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times
- Self-directed and self-motivated
- Available to work evenings, weekends and holidays
This is a full time (40 hours per week) position which includes a comprehensive benefit and pension plan.
Must be prepared to work a highly-flexible weekly schedule including evenings, weekends, and statutory holidays as required. Shifts will generally be scheduled into the late evening. Some overtime may be required on occasion. Shift schedules will generally be arranged a month in advance whenever possible.
Often dealing with crowds of people, noise and busy environment
Constant standing and walking throughout shift
Lifting and carrying up to 20 lbs
Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
Please note: The interviewing and hiring process may commence prior to the posted closing date.
Candidates are invited to apply online. Cover letters are optional, unless specifically requested.
Please review the job competition carefully and be sure to attach any specifically requested documentation in the My Documents section of your application.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a current, acceptable Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector if applicable; and a current, acceptable Driver’s Abstract, if applicable.
While preference will be given to internal candidates who meet the requirements, this position is also open to external candidates. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in the City of Airdrie.