Artistic Director – New West Theatre, Lethbridge, AB:
New West Theatre invites applications for the part time position of Artistic Director. As the premier performing arts organization in Southern Alberta, New West Theatre plays a critical role in the cultural landscape of the region. New West Theatre is concluding its 25th season of providing broad-based, diverse programming for Lethbridge and the surrounding region. The company’s diverse slate of artistic programming includes all-original Music-Comedy Revues, contemporary Canadian plays, and a Theatre for Young Audiences production which tours regionally. Additionally, New West Theatre offers educational programming including Summer Theatre Camps, a Theatre School, and In-School Residencies. New West Theatre has an operating budget that surpasses $700,000.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Artistic Director works in partnership with the General Manager to deliver the mandate.
• Artistic Programming: select and program a season of productions that fulfills New West Theatre’s Artistic Mandate and Mission.
• Artistic Staffing: audition, interview, and hire all technical and artistic personnel, as a result of local and national searches.
• Industry Knowledge: maintain an up-to-date familiarity with trends in contemporary Canadian theatre, by actively reading new scripts, attending theatre events and networking within theatre communities.
• Artistic Involvement: participate artistically in company theatre productions (write, perform, and/or direct).
• Fund Development: work closely with the General Manager on all company budgets and fundraising initiatives, including grant writing.
• Advocacy: fosters positive relationships with the local community and arts organizations as well as government agencies.
Applicants must possess:
• Post-secondary education in theatre or arts administration.
• A minimum of 2 years experience in administration of a non-profit theatre organization.
• Experience working within budgets.
• A proven track record of independent and professional artistic success.
• Familiarity with the Canadian theatre community, and experience with the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres and the Canadian Actors’ Equity Association.
• Superior verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficiency with Word, Excel and Mac operating systems.
Term and Salary
Part time status is based on a total number of hours that will be distributed throughout the season based on workflow and artistic involvement. Salary is commensurate with experience.
New West Theatre is committed to creating an equitable environment, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Please email (in Word or PDF format) a cover letter, CV, and list of references to our Board of Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org by Closing Date: February 16/2015. Anticipated start date is May 11/2015 (negotiable).