The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is currently accepting applications for the Props Assistant/Scenic Artist for the summer of 2015. The contract would run from May 5th to Aug 1st, 2015.
Part of the Set/Props Build team which consists of: TD/ Head Carp, Head of Props, Props Assistant/Scenic Artist, Armory Supervisor/Props Assistant and Production Volunteers.
Props Assistant – Duties include but not limited to:
• Assisting in constructing, purchasing, installing and painting set/prop elements as described in the script, assigned by the Set/Props Designer and those written into the rehearsal notes by Stage Management.
• Assist with interpreting drawings and designs produced for the production then build and install set/prop elements for use by performers and Directors.
• Assist to Source and purchase set/props that cannot, or should not, be built for the production in house.
• Assist in Repair and/or rebuild old set/props as necessary.
• They must be aware of the requirements of the health and safety legislation and procedures relevant to their role and be responsible for expressing any safety concerns that are observed and assisting to rectify them.
• Responsible for the operation and movement of Stage, Set, props and FX pieces during the run of the show.
• Pre-setting, show setting and striking of Stage, Set, props and FX pieces during the run of the show.
• ‘On the Fly’ repairs and assistance for problems pertaining to Stage, Set, props and FX pieces during the run of the show.
• Rigging and operation of Stage, Set and FX pieces, plus (once trained) Human load rigging during the run of the show.
• Responsible for assisting in end of season strike and winter storage.
Additional Skills: Scenic Painting, Rigging, Welding, Metal Work, etc. will be considered an asset.
The Props Assistant is part of the Set/Props Build Team. Directed by the Head of Set/Props Build Team for day to day functions and labor. The role may involve significant manual labor and can be physically demanding.
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is one of Canada’s largest outdoor theatrical events. Now in its 22nd season. The company annually depicts the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in dramatic form. It is an epic story told on an epic scale, this year’s production features a creative retelling of the Gospel of John. The script is performed by a mixed professional & volunteer cast of approximately 200 actors in a 2700-seat outdoor amphitheatre.
Interested applicants are encouraged to email a resume and cover letter no later than Feb 6th, 2015
Please Attention to: Adrian Young, Productions Director, email@example.com