Audition Notice – St. Albert/Edmonton
Waiting for the Parade by John Murrell, presented by the St. Albert Theatre Troupe
Directed by Louise Large
Audition dates: December 15th and 16th, 6-10pm, at the Celtic Homes Warehouse 12831 – 151 Street.
Rehearsal dates: One company read before New Years followed by three days a week rehearsal leading up to move in/tech week.
Performance dates: February 26, 27, 28th, March 5, 6, 7 at the Kinsmen Korral in St. Albert
Auditioners will be required to read scenes from the play and present a short a capella (unaccompanied) song selection no longer than two minutes. Please note that we do not require technical excellence for the singing, just the ability to go for it and carry a basic tune. Dramatic monologues are also encouraged but are not required. Applicants are encouraged to arrive early to read through applicable audition sides.
Audition slots are 15 minutes long and can be booked by contacting director Louise Large at [email protected] or 780-720-7840. Please indicate when booking an audition if there is a specific character you have in mind.
Set in Calgary during World War II, five women gather to work for the war effort while the men they love are away. Their tensions, secrets, hopes and dreams reveal the women’s strength and heroism in one of our country’s most enduring and best-loved plays about these women who kept “the home fires burning.”
Waiting for the Parade is ultimately dramatic, moving and funny, and features live music and songs made popular from during the war years.
- Catherine – early 30’s, composed and logical, working while her husband is away fighting
- Janet – late 30’s, eager and sweet, she struggles with her husband being exempt from going to war
- Margaret – 50’s, worried about trying to keep her family together
- Eve – 20’s, a teacher who tries to remain positive despite the war, her husband is too old to fight
- Marta – 30’s, of German descent, facing major prejudice from her community
*Please note: the character of Marta requires a German accent, we will provide resources for dialect coaching*