Rapid Fire Theatre is seeking applications for the position of Artistic Director. Submit your application before January 15, 2015.
What is Rapid Fire Theatre?
Rapid Fire Theatre is Edmonton’s longest-running improv comedy troupe and one of the oldest Theatresports companies on the planet. We have entertained audiences in Edmonton and beyond for over 30 years. We produce four weekly shows from September to June, as well as public workshops, entertainment events, and four festivals. We are currently on the hunt to buy our own theatre.
Our mission is to create accessible, affordable improvisation and alternative theatre that entertains, educates a growing audience, and generates professional development opportunities for improvisors.
What does the Artistic Director do?
The Artistic Director of Rapid Fire Theatre is a contracted employee responsible for achieving the vision of Rapid Fire Theatre by managing our artistic, human, and financial resources. The Artistic Director must:
• Lead effectively by communicating and collaborating with the performing ensemble and other staff.
• Direct all creative programming, including shows, workshops, and professional development opportunities.
• Audition performers, cast them, and maintain a healthy performing ensemble.
• Share a passion, and demonstrated experience, in improvised theatre.
• Partner with the General Manager on key aspects of company planning, including writing artistic statements and cover letters for grants, fund-raising, budgeting, board development, and community-building.
• Keep programs within Rapid Fire’s budget and ensure they finish on time.
• Support initiatives of the Fundraising Committee of the Board of Directors, as well as other sponsorship initiatives from staff.
• Represent Rapid Fire Theatre in a positive light to the theatre community, media, government, and the general public.
What else should I know?
The successful candidate will begin May 1, 2015 and train with the current Artistic Director for a period of time to be determined.
Base compensation will correspond to your experience and qualifications, ranging from $26,000 to $36,000 annually.
This is a contract position involving, at minimum, 80 hours of work per month. Applicants should understand that, in order for the Artistic Director to execute all performance, development and planning duties, their hours of work may be irregular and vary from month to month.
How do I apply?
1. Submit your cover letter and current resume in a single .pdf document.
Please title your .pdf document: [Your first name]-[Your last name].pdf
2. Email your .pdf document to [email protected]
Please title your email subject line: Artistic Director Application
We must receive your email application before January 15, 2015.
We will not answer physical applications, mailed applications, or phone calls.
We will only contact the applicants that we consider for an interview. We thank all applicants for their interest.