STEPHEN HAIR EMERGING ACTOR AWARD – 2014
This annual award of $2,500 is designed to assist new actors from the Calgary region in the dawn of their acting careers. Created in 2007, the award honours the distinguished 40+ year career of Calgary actor Stephen Hair, including over 60 appearances on Theatre Calgary’s stage and 20 consecutive years as Ebenezer Scrooge in our annual production of A Christmas Carol.
Candidates for this award must be based in the Calgary area and be a recent graduate from post-secondary studies in performance (typically within 12 to 24 months). The recipient will also have a demonstrated commitment to the pursuit of a professional career as an actor.
Actors may apply for this award to support a broad range of career development opportunities such as, but not limited to:
– Personal development courses
– A specific project involving the artist
- Funding for auditions
– Help in taking an out-of-town role
– Opportunity to understudy
– Invitation to be mentored by a senior artist
– Any form of professional development other than postgraduate degrees
- Awards will not be considered for production costs, company operating costs or non-actor related activities. – The award is intended to advance the career of actors who have experienced some success and are seeking developmental opportunities to further their careers.
How to Apply:
The deadline for applications for the 2014-15 season is Tuesday, September 30th.
All applications must include the following:
– An up-to-date theatre resume
– A cover letter (no more than one page) giving a complete description of how you intend to utilize the award
– A 1-2 page description of yourself, with answers to the following questions: What would you describe as your greatest strength as an actor? What is your greatest challenge? What has been your most fulfilling performing experience thus far and why? What are your artistic goals, dreams and aspirations?
If funds are intended for use towards a collaborative or contractual engagement, appropriate documentation should accompany the application.
– Applications may be submitted via email or in hard copy.
– All applications will be retained by the committee and be held at Theatre Calgary including all supporting copies of documentation.
Short-listed candidates may be contacted for an interview.
Please send completed applications by Tuesday, September 30th to:
Attention: Stephen Hair Award
c/o Susan McNair Reid
Company Manager, Theatre Calgary
220 – 9th Avenue SE
Calgary, AB T2G 5C4
Visit http://theatrecalgary.com/about/stephen_hair_award/ for more information or click here to download the PDF.