Unfortunately this workshop has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
It was once the rage in European entertainment, Horror Theatre (originally coined Grand Guignol) paved the way for our current thriller and horror films.
Also known as the “theatre of laughter and terror”, it was filled with suspense and dark psychological themes- insanity, fear, jealousy, vengeance.
This workshop will cover:
- Acting Style: Through the physical acting of melodrama, students will commit to high stakes and grand emotions. They will work with music, using it as a tool to emotion and gesture.
- Special Effect: Students will learn how to create and execute classic gore effect.
- History: The background of Grand Guignol, video, handouts and contemporary works.
- Scene Work: Students will be divided into group and rehearse classic horror pieces, which will be presented at second workshop day (be prepared to learn some line during the week)
This workshop will take place over 2 Saturdays at Morpheus Theatre. On the second Saturday, students will have an invited sharing. Horror theatre is best with hearing an audience squeal.
- September 20th- 10am-4pm
- September 27th- 11am-5pm & 7-9pm (invited sharing)
Bring: Water Bottle (this style is physical), clothing you can move in, a sense of play, clothes you can get messy.
SIGN UP: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/856771
Instructor: Alice Nelson
Alice trained in Melodrama and Grand Guignol at Dell’Arte Physical Theatre School, where she received her MFA.
Alice Nelson is the Artistic Director of Organized Crime Productions. Organized Crime Productions aims to produce taboo and controversial works which tell the stories of the underdogs. Last year they produced two classic Grand Guignol play, Crime in the Madhouse and Final Kiss. “A great way to celebrate the Halloween season”-Applause Meter Review, Calgary
Organized Crime currently working to bring Kelleen Conway Blanchard’s deranged horror-comedy The Underneath to you this Halloween.