General Manager – New West Theatre, Lethbridge, AB: New West Theatre invites applications for the full time position of General Manager. As the premier performing arts organization in Southern Alberta, New West Theatre plays a critical role in the cultural landscape of the region.
New West Theatre is currently celebrating its 25th season of providing broad-based, diverse programming for Lethbridge and the surrounding region. The company’s diverse slate of artistic programming includes all-original Music-Comedy Revues, contemporary Canadian plays, and a Theatre for Young Audiences production which tours regionally. Additionally, New West Theatre offers educational programming including Summer Theatre Camps, a Theatre School, and In-School Residencies. New West Theatre has an operating budget that surpasses $700,000.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager works in partnership with the Artistic Director to deliver the mandate.
- Fund Development: cultivates relationships with individual and corporate supporters; leads fundraising events and initiatives; applies for municipal, provincial, and federal grants.
- Promotional: develops and implements promotional campaigns for theatre productions and arts-related activities; manages outreach and community engagement activities
- Financial Management: in collaboration with the Artistic Director develops budgets for productions and general operations; monitors short-term and long-term financial strategies, ensuring the organization’s ongoing fiscal stability.
- Administration: manages the day-to-day operations of the organization; supervising employees, contracted artists, and volunteers.
- Advocacy: fosters positive relationships with the local community and arts organizations as well as government agencies.
- Note: New West Theatre contracts accounting services to process accounts payable/receivable, payroll, and oversee other day-to-day financial tasks.
Applicants must possess:
- A relevant post-secondary education in management, theatre or arts administration.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in the administration of a not-for-profit organization, preferably a theatre company.
- Experience with budgeting, fundraising, and marketing.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel and Mac operating systems, as well as familiarity with social media programs (Facebook, Twitter)
The following skills would be an asset:
- Familiarity with the Canadian theatre community, and experience with the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres and the Canadian Actors’ Equity Association.
- Knowledge of the Alberta Liquor and Gaming Commission.
- An understanding of touring theatre productions, and technical theatre
- Experience working in a board environment
New West Theatre is committed to creating an equitable environment, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Please email (in Word or PDF format) a cover letter, CV, and list of references to our Board of Directors at email@example.com by Closing Date: August 22/14. Anticipated start date is October 1/14.