Call For Submissions 2014/15: Artist In Residence
Creation Residency Opportunity
For Edmonton based theatre creators
Submission deadline: August 1st, 2014
Catalyst Theatre invites submissions for an Artist in Residence project during the 2014-2015 season.
What Catalyst is looking for:
Our purpose is to support an artist or independent company in the research and development of a new work while providing observational access to our own process to whatever extent is of value to the artist. We welcome proposals of work at any stage of development, from work in the earliest phases of research and development to work that has already been produced and requires a second development phase.
The project may be submitted by a lead creator or by an ensemble.
What Catalyst will provide
• Up to six weeks in total of venue access, to be scheduled in discussion with the artist, without technical support (except as covered by the budget provided below).
• $3,000 for any combination of crew or production research costs that serves the needs of the project.
• The artist in residence and any of their project colleagues will have open access to Catalyst rehearsals (for Vigilante) and production meetings.
The selected artist(s) should expect:
• To engage with Catalyst Theatre’s core creative and management team in a mutually curious, supportive, and reflective relationship
• To participate in regularly scheduled monthly meetings with Catalyst’s Artistic Director and/or Managing Producer
• To bring their own production resources to the residency as required, in addition to what Catalyst provides
• To make a commitment to completing the project as agreed
• To provide a work in process showing, demonstration or presentation of residency research, for an invited audience.
Who is eligible to apply?
• Individual artists and existing ensembles.
• Preference will be given to Edmonton based lead artists
• 5 p.m. Friday, August 1, 2014
The Artist in Residence selection will be confirmed no later than September 1st.
• Please submit a proposal including requested dates. The maximum six-week total may be distributed in any way that works for your project. The following dates are available:
• September 1 to 10 and September 20 to 27, 2014;
• January 2 to 17, 2015;
• March 3 to April 22, 2015.
• Name, email, telephone number and CV of creative director/principle applicant
• An overview of the project and a statement of what you wish to research and/or develop during your residency and how you anticipate this will have an impact on the work.
• Bios for any other key creative partners and a brief description of the role you envision for each of them in the process
• A requested schedule of space use (taking availability into account)
• An outline of how you would use the $3000 budget (Please note that time anticipated use venue lighting and sound equipment requires a technician at $22/hour. Alternative sound equipment may be used without technical support).
Electronic submissions only, sent to Eva Cairns, [email protected]
Questions about what we are looking for or the suitability of a project you might submit? Up until July 19th you can email or call for more information: Eva Cairns, Managing Producer, Catalyst Theatre, [email protected] or at (780) 431-1750.