INTERN ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
Submission Deadline: 5 p.m. Sunday, May 4th, 2014
Catalyst Theatre invites applications for an internship position to take place during the 2014-2015 season. The internship will provide insight into the artistic, management and producing requirements in a mid-sized creation company and participation in all of those areas. The opportunity has been built around the pre-production phase and rehearsals for a new work Vigilante, Catalyst’s major artistic project of the 2014-2015 season.
The intern will observe and assist both Catalyst’s Artistic Director and Managing Producer. The internship will support her/him in:
- Strengthening communication and collaboration skills.
- Developing tools for creative problem solving and leadership within a team environment.
- Honing abilities to make powerful yet manageable creative offers that both respond to and inspire the choices of all other members of the creative team.
- Increasing understanding of how to evolve a bold artistic vision.
- Evolving an understanding of the working relationship between artistic and management leadership and the balance of responsibilities.
- Gaining insight into the challenges of running a company and longer term operational planning that is consistent with vision, values, mandate, resources and opportunities.
- Developing an understanding of the basic business and producing model of a mid-size creation based theatre company.
The intern will report to both Catalyst’s Artistic Director and Managing Producer and will support them in a range of capacities including:
- Participating in production and creative meetings.
- Conducting research as requested.
- Attending rehearsals and assisting with note taking as required.
- Conceiving and planning one outreach activity or tool.
- Contributing to one major fundraising proposal/application.
- Meeting weekly during the terms of the internship with either the Artistic Director or the Managing Producer to cover a curriculum of industry issues.
- Assisting the Managing Producer in the management and coordination of a team of fifteen to eighteen artists and production staff for Vigilante.
- Communicating her/his experience via intermittent contributions to Catalyst’s newsletter and social media outreach.
- Providing a final written report.
This opportunity will most benefit theatre artists who meet the following criteria:
- A graduate degree in directing or equivalent professional experience.
- A strong commitment to Edmonton’s theatre community and to pursuing further work opportunities in Edmonton.
- A genuine interest in the full range of artistic, administrative and producing challenges for a mid-sized creation company.
- Proficiency with Macintosh computers and Microsoft Word.
- A positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills.
- A desire for accuracy and attention to details.
- An ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Strong time management skills and an ability to prioritize.
The internship is provided in two separate block of time:
November 10 to December 7, 2014 or
November 17 to December 14, 2014
4 weeks half time (20 hours per week)
During this time there is flexibility in the scheduling of work hours, within the standard workweek.
January 26 to March 14, 2015
Catalyst is a not able to accommodate any scheduling conflicts during this block of time. The intern is expected to be fully available.
$600 per week ($300 for the half time weeks) on an employee contract.
Deadline to apply: 5 p.m. Sunday, May 4th, 2014
Submit applications by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your CV, along with a letter of interest that outlines what you believe this opportunity offers you that will make a difference at this time in your career, and an overview of your involvement with the Edmonton theatre community.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview during the month of May.
Funding for this internship is provided in part with funding from Edmonton’s Universiade ’83 Foundation.