Job Posting: General Manager, Northern Light Theatre
Northern Light Theatre History
Northern Light Theatre was founded in 1975, by Scott Swan and Allan Lysell, as Edmonton’s first lunch-hour theatre company. Northern Light Theatre (otherwise known as NLT) performed lunch box performances in the Edmonton Art Gallery Theatre weekdays at noon. Throughout the 31 years, NLT has given Edmonton audiences everything from the first taste of Shakespeare in the park, musical revues, classics, and Canadian plays both old and new.
NLT has further defined themselves as a company concentrated on embracing and promoting local Edmonton talent. Under the creative imagination of Artistic Director, Trevor Schmidt, Northern Light Theatre is dedicated to producing intimate and affecting work that speaks to the modern audience of the urban human condition, the failure to find security and the loss of the dreams held by all for love and happiness.
To challenge both artist and audience by producing and developing provocative scripts- language rich texts that are dark, poetic, funny- which reflect a complex world, and lead us to question our hierarchy of values.
The General Manager will be responsible for all aspects of the Theatre’s operations. The ideal candidate will be visionary, creative and possess a strong commitment to both the Theatre and the community it serves.
Theatre Management and Development
In addition to developing, structuring, and coordinating internal theatre policy and guidelines, the General Manager will be responsible for:
• administering the human resources of the department including hiring, supervision, performance appraisals, and professional development of staff;
• working closely with the Artistic Director regarding programming and implementing the Theatre’s five-year strategic plan;
• liaison with other community partners to build strong, supportive external relationships.
Working within a current budget, the General Manager will be responsible for:
• preparing and monitoring the theatre’s financial plan;
• preparing grants and proposals for funding requirements; and,
• further developing and overseeing the Theatre’s fundraising operation.
The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in arts administration or drama, with a minimum of three years of professional experience in theatre management. It is essential that the candidate have knowledge and expertise in the following areas:
• financial management;
• grant writing, fundraising, public relations, and marketing experience;
• experience working with the CTA;
• human resource management;
• experience with Theatre Manager software would be an asset; and,
• communicating with theatre staff and problem solving in high pressure situations.
Northern Light Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send your resume and cover letter to:
Subject line: GM Search