Theatre Technician – Cultural Services
Cultivate Your Career!
Are you looking for a unique opportunity to grow your career in a place where people care? Here in St. Albert, our employees take pride in providing more than 60,000 residents with high-quality programs and services. A wide array of opportunities are available to suit your passion and experience. You can cultivate your career in a place where staff not only care about the work they do but also the people they work alongside.
Are you looking for an opportunity to work in a fast paced, creative, dynamic and energetic environment? A city rich in arts and heritage, St. Albert has superior cultural opportunities for the enjoyment and learning of many. The Cultural Services Department strives to provide positive experiences in several areas, including visual and performing arts, as well as the Arden Theatre, International Children’s Festival and St. Albert Children’s Theatre.
Our Cultural Services team is recruiting a Theatre Technician who will assist in the technical running of the theatre and major productions. The Technician needs to be proficient in all aspects of event and production support with a focus on digital audio systems and theatrical lighting systems. This position will be an integral part of the artistic and production team for the major productions such as Children’s theatre and Children’s Festival.
Primary responsibilities of this position include:
• Providing on stage monitor mix during live music event;
• Design, setup, operation and supervision of crew in the areas of audio, video and lighting;
• Meeting with user groups and acting as technical liaison for various functions as well as interpreting their requirements;
• Assisting with the maintenance of the theatre’s equipment and supervision/training of crews;
• Theatrical staging and rigging including unloading, loading, setup and strike of equipment and sets;
• On occasion, managing and directing the technical portion of live performances ensuring good production quality.
• Completion of a 2 year technical theatre course
• Prior experience in the theatre business with a wide range of live performance and events
• Thorough knowledge of Live Audio (digital consoles, monitors, wireless microphones) and Theatrical Lighting (control, automated lighting fixtures, network distribution and control) is essential
• Leadership/supervisory experience with volunteers is a definite asset
• Proven ability to multi-task and work under pressure with tight deadlines
• High level of interpersonal skills and diplomacy to communicate with a wide variety of user groups
• Valid Standard First Aid Certificate
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
Hours of Work:
72 hours bi-weekly, which frequently includes evenings and weekends to accommodate events.
$61,793 – $75,181 per annum. In addition the City of St. Albert offers a comprehensive flexible benefit package.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory police information check.
Qualified candidates are invited to forward their cover letter and resume, quoting Competition #14/81W by April 28, 2014 to:
City of St. Albert
216-7 St. Anne Street
St. Albert, AB T8N 2X4
Online: Application Form
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.