Updated with new job description and closing date!
Theatre Junction GRAND
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Theatre Junction Society owns and operates Theatre Junction GRAND, Calgary’s Culture House for contemporary live arts.
The artistic program includes (1) multidisciplinary creation by an international company of artists, (2) international, national and local presentations of theatre, dance and music, and (3) work by community artists and organizations whose work aligns with our vision.
Theatre Junction GRAND also hosts private events in the theatre, in conjunction with UBU Restaurant and Lounge.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Technical Director is responsible for technical management of a 400-seat configurable theatre, and the production management of all performances and private corporate events occurring in the theatre. Theatre Junction produces one new work per year with our company of artists, and presents shows from 6 to 8 national and international touring companies.
• Review technical riders, assess the need for technical support, and prepare budgets for all presentations and private rental events; manage, monitor and control financial performance.
• Manage and develop the technical policies and procedures for the theatre.
• Schedule and manage 3 house technicians (head of lighting, head of sound, and head of rigging).
• Assist with the management and supervision of facilities rentals to corporate and individual clients.
• Recruit, schedule and manage casual crew.
• Manage the duties of a full-time technical coordinator.
• Liaise with designers and directors in consultation with the Artistic Director and House Crew.
• Oversee the maintenance program for equipment and the physical theatre space.
• Manage the safety of the working environment, including adherence to Occupational Health & Safety standards.
• We are seeking a dynamic individual with superior management skills in a unionized environment. The successful candidate will have experience in motivating and managing staff; have excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations.
• Completion of an accredited post-secondary program in technical theatre or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
• A good understanding and working knowledge of theatre operations, facility rentals and safety procedures.
• Excellent problem solving aptitude.
• A passion for the arts and some familiarity with national and international contemporary theatre.
• Bilingualism will be considered an asset.
DEADLINE For Submissions: Open until position filled.
Please send letter of interest and CV to Tod Petersen – Managing Director [email protected]