The Production Assistant (PA) is a seasonal, entry-level position within the production team of the Freewill Shakespeare Festival. This position is responsible for a variety of assigned tasks relating to the setup, operation and tear-down of the festival. The successful applicant must be returning to post secondary studies in fall 2014.
The PA reports directly to the Production Manager (PM) or, in their absence of the PM, the Assistant Production Manager.
Duration: June 8, 2014 – July 20, 2014 (6 week contract)
• General Labour – The PA provides his/her labour as required for the needs of setup and tear-down of the Festival.
• Stagehand Duties – The PA is responsible for executing Stage-Management-assigned tracks during performances of the Festival as well as stage turnarounds between performances.
• Other Duties – The PA is responsible for other duties as directed by the Production Manager.
Hours of Work and Remuneration
At all times, the Production Assistant’s time will be scheduled by the Production Manager to meet the needs of the Festival. Typically, this amounts to approximately 40 hours per week. During the Setup and Strike Period, this may be significantly higher due to the nature of stage work. The duration of employment is set prior to work commencing and indicated on the Production Assistant Hiring Advice, to be signed by the employee.
The weekly rate of pay is $500.00 for a period of six weeks.
The Production Assistant is an entry-level position. As a minimum, the position requires the following:
• The person must be able to work legally in Canada
• Returning to full-time post-secondary education in fall 2014
• A good working knowledge of theatrical production hierarchy, terms, and etiquette.
• The ability to safely lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
Knowledge in the following areas is an asset:
• Class 5 Driver’s License
• Scenery Construction Practices
• Scenic Painting Techniques
• Basic Audio and Lighting setup
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to Tiana Tolley, Festival Production Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline March 1, 2014
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be scheduled for mid March.