The Assistant Production Manager is a seasonal, mid-level position within the production team of the Freewill Shakespeare Festival. This position is responsible for a variety of assigned tasks relating to the setup, operation and tear-down of the festival. The Assistant Production Manager reports directly to the Production Manager.
The Assistant Production Manager is a 10-week position from mid-May to the end of July.
• Truck Driving – The APM is responsible for some sourcing, pickup and drop-off of various elements of the Festival as directed by the Production Manager. During load-in to the Amphitheatre, the APM is responsible for driving the 5-tonne or 1-tonne trucks. Appropriate experience and Driver’s License required.
• Carpentry – In some instances, the APM is required to assist the Head Carpenter and Head of Props in construction of the set or larger props both at the shop and the Amphitheatre.
• Repair – During the run of the Festival, the APM will assist in any emergency repair needed to any Set pieces or props, as directed by Stage Management or the Production Manager.
• Inventory – The APM is required to keep a current inventory of all assets of the Festival as directed by the PM.
• General Labour – The APM provides his/her labour as required for the needs of setup and tear-down of the Festival.
• Stagehand Duties – The APM is responsible for executing Stage-Management-assigned tracks during performances of the Festival as well as stage turnarounds between performances with assistance from the Production Assistant.
• Other Duties – The APM is responsible for other duties as directed by the Production Manager.
Hours of Work and Remuneration
At all times, the Assistant Production Manager’s time will be scheduled by the Production Manager to meet the needs of the Festival. Typically, this amounts to approximately 40 hours per week. During the Setup and Strike Period, this may be significantly higher due to the nature of stage work. The duration of employment is set prior to work commencing and indicated on the Assistant Production Manager Hiring Advice, to be signed by the employee.
Remuneration is a weekly-based salary, indicated and agreed to on the Hiring Advice.
The Assistant Production Manager is an mid-level position. As a minimum, the position requires the following:
• The person must be able to work legally in Canada
• A good working knowledge of theatrical production hierarchy, terms, and etiquette.
• The ability to safely lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
• Class 5 Driver’s License
• Scenery Construction Practices
• Scenic Painting Techniques • Audio and Lighting setup
• First Aid
• A good sense of humour
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to Tiana Tolley, Festival Production Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline March 1, 2014
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.