ARTIST CALL – SOUND DESIGNER FOR EAVESDROP: THE COFFEE SHOP SHOW
Position Title: Sound Designer
Salary: $1,000 flat fee
Application Deadline: January 7, 2014
Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre is seeking a creative, talented and adventurous designer to create the sound design for the Spring 2014 production of Eavesdrop: The Coffee Shop Show.
Eavesdrop, a site-specific show that takes place in public coffee shops, premiered at Caffe Crema in November 2012. During the performance, audience members wear wireless headphones and listen to an immersive soundscape while actors move throughout the coffee shop. This allows the audience to not only eavesdrop on the characters’ conversations, but also listen in on their innermost thoughts. In its last iteration, the show’s (and, consequently, the soundscape’s) duration was approximately forty minutes.
Eavesdrop will be reworked and rewritten for performances in several coffee shops in April 2014. The Sound Designer will design and execute the soundscape. The sound material from the previous production will be available for use and its designer, Andrew Blizzard, will be available for consultation if desired. The Sound Designer, in consultation with the Director and creative team, can choose to build upon the previous design or create the soundscape from the ground up.
The Sound Designer will:
• Work with the Director and creative team to design and execute the soundscape for Eavesdrop: The Coffee Shop Show. This project requires a very collaborative approach.
• Record and master actor/character voices.
• Attend technical rehearsals for the production, and other rehearsals as required.
• Execute all edits or changes to the sound design in a timely manner.
• January 27-31, 2014 – Script Development Workshop. Sound Designer should be available for one or two days.
• February 10-14, 2014 – Script Development Workshop. Sound Designer should be available for one or two days.
• March 8-9, 2014 – Voice Recording.
• March 11-April 1, 2014 – Sound Design.
• April 1-13, 2014 – Rehearsals. Sound Designer must be available for edits or changes, and attend rehearsals as required.
• April 14-May 2, 2014 – Production. Sound Designer must be available for edits or changes.
*NOTE: These dates are subject to change, and can potentially be adjusted to accommodate the applicant’s schedule.
Interested parties should send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm on January
7, 2014. Audio samples and examples of past work will also be accepted.
About Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre:
Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre is Calgary’s leading purveyor of fearless, fun, site-specific professional theatre. It enriches the lives of artistic thrill-seekers by creating and presenting professional, innovative site-specific theatre experiences that push boundaries in unconventional spaces.
For more information, visit www.swallowabicycle.com.