2014 ALBERTA LITERARY AWARDS
GWEN PHARIS RINGWOOD AWARD FOR DRAMA ($1,500)
*Accepting plays published or produced in 2013
This award was established in 1985 in honour of Gwen Pharis Ringwood (1910-1984) and recognizes an Alberta author of a play that was published or produced in 2013 and submitted to this province wide competition. A $1,500 prize will be awarded to the winning author.
Submission Guidelines and Rules
- Authors of all entries in the Alberta Literary Awards must have been a resident of Alberta for a minimum of twelve of the eighteen months prior to December 31 of 2013.
- All plays must have been published or produced anywhere in the world between January 1 and December 31 of 2013.
- Plays submitted to the Drama category may be one-act or full-length.
- Plays included in anthologies may be entered, as long as a separate entry form is filled out, and a separate entry fee is paid, for each play that the publisher or author wishes to submit to the award.
- Unpublished plays must have received their premiere production with a minimum run of three consecutive performances between January 1 and December 31, 2013. Submissions must include proof of performance: ticket stubs, programs, etc.
- Unpublished manuscripts must be clean copy, typewritten or word-processed, in standard theatre-script format and securely bound at the left margin.
- An unpublished play may not be re-entered if it receives publication in a future year.
- Pieces entered in previous years may not be re-submitted to the same award category.
The WGA reserves the right to place a submission in a category other than the Gwen Pharis Ringwood Award for Drama if deemed appropriate. The organization or individual entering the submission will be notified of such changes.
- Entries must be mailed to the Writers Guild of Alberta, postmarked no later than December 31, 2013. An exception will be made for plays published or produced in December only if the WGA is notified of the late submission, in writing, in advance of the deadline.
- Entries may be submitted by authors, theatre companies, publishers, or any interested parties.
- Ineligible materials will not be returned.
- Submissions must include a completed, signed entry form (www.writersguild.ab.ca) and five copies of each submission for the Gwen Pharis Ringwood Award for Drama. Any additional categories entered thereafter (ie. The City Book Prizes – See website) require an additional three copies of the submission (per category).
- Submissions must be accompanied by a $25 fee per entry per category. Please make cheques payable to the Writers Guild of Alberta.
To download an application form or for more information, visit www.writersguild.ab.ca.
Send application form and submissions to:
Writers Guild of Alberta
Percy Page Centre,
11759 Groat Road
Edmonton, AB T5M 3K6
The deadline for submissions to the Alberta Literary Awards is December 31, 2013.
Submissions are evaluated on originality, creativity, and quality of writing, as well as appropriate fit within a category. The winners will be announced at the 2014 Alberta Book Awards Gala in Calgary in the spring. The Alberta Literary Awards will be presented in conjunction with the Book Publishers Association of Alberta’s (BPAA) Alberta Book Publishing Awards.
The Alberta Literary Awards were created by the Writers’ Guild of Alberta in 1982 to recognize excellence in writing by Alberta authors.
For more information, please visit www.writersguild.ab.ca