Kay Meek Centre for the Performing Arts, West Vancouver
The Kay Meek Centre in West Vancouver seeks an experienced part time Artistic Director (AD). Since opening its doors on November 6, 2004, the Kay Meek Centre has grown and developed into a cultural jewel for West Vancouver and the North Shore. In early 2013, the Board of Directors approved a new Strategic Plan for 2012-2017 to reflect the evolution of the organization. Our mission is “to produce, provide and present excellent performing arts experiences and opportunities for our community and beyond.” With the recent addition of TheatreK, a professional theatre operation, the organization is poised to make significant progress towards achievement of its mission.
Co-reporting with the Executive Director (ED) to the Board of Directors, the Artistic Director is responsible for conceiving, developing, and implementing the artistic vision and programming focus of the Kay Meek Centre. The Artistic Director works in partnership with the ED and supervises artistic and technical staff/contractors. The AD will ensure the organization is guided by its objectives of artistic excellence, creativity, and community engagement. The AD’s vision and program will inspire Kay Meek Centre staff, donors, stakeholders, and audiences. As a public face of the organization (with the ED), the AD will play a key role in maintaining and enhancing theKay Meek Centrebrand and awareness in this culturally diverse community.This is a part time flexible contract position with variable hours, but the AD must be willing to make the Kay Meek Centre his/her priority.
• Provides visionary and inspirational artistic leadership to thedevelopment and delivery of a program at the Kay Meek Centre that excites a broad range of audiences.
• Works with the Board and ED to conduct donor development and fundraising activities.
• Represents and enhances Kay Meek Centre’s reputation locally, nationally and internationally.
• Designs and implements specific programs focused on youth engagement.
• Leads on all aspects of the Kay Meek Centre’s artistic programme, including produced work, commercial co-productions and collaborations, presenting, commissions, rights negotiation and agreements and other forms of creative work.
• Directs most or all of KMC’s productions, hires production team and supervises any external/freelance contractors.
• Works with School Board leadership to build on our successful program of youth theatre.
Skills and Experience
• Proven track record both in programming and directing professional theatre productions.
• Ability to collaborate as part of a team to achieve strategic goals and measurable objectives.
• Substantive knowledge of contemporary art practices and organizations, with proven experience in arts centres or similar organizations.
• Skilful in volunteer coordination, harnessing and directing volunteer support.
• Superior communications, project management, and organizational skills.
• Experience in delivering educational, youth oriented community programs.
• Possesses a proven track record in engaging new and diverse audiences.
• Abilityto develop detailed production budgets and deliver results within clearly defined budgets and timelines.
Salary and Benefits to be negotiated, commensurate with experience.
Further detail on the position can be found at http://kaymeekcentre.com/the_centre/news
Interested candidates please send CV/Resume and a Covering Letter by November 15, 2013 to Paul Tutsch, Chair of the Board, at [email protected]
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.