POSTING NO.: ESSF 1015
AFFILIATION: CSU 52
TITLE: GALLERY INTERPRETER – Temporary Part Time
November 2013 – March 2014 ( Up to 20 Positions)
Are you good with people, have seen all of the Harry Potter™ films, are a Harry Potter fan, and have an authentic British accent? Then TELUS World of Science-Edmonton wants to hear from you! TELUS World of Science Edmonton is proud to host Harry Potter™: The Exhibition. The exhibit opens November 23, 2013 and runs through March 9, 2014. For more information on Harry Potter™: The Exhibition please view www.harrypotterexhibition.com
Under the direction of the Director of Science, and through the TELUS World of Science – Edmonton Interpretive Program, the Gallery Interpreter has primary responsibility to ensure general public visitors enjoy a fantastic entertainment experience.
As a Gallery Interpreter, this individual must engage all visitors by initiating conversation and demonstration of programs and exhibits. Gallery Interpreters must have an authentic British accent at all times! Ideal candidates will have some familiarity with the Harry Potter™ films, and work well in direct contact with the general public. Gallery Interpreters will work in several positions, rotating about every hour into another position within Harry Potter: The Exhibition. Staff must be in place whenever the exhibit is open; an authentic British accent will be used at all times.
NOTE: You will be on your feet at all times while working.
• Be present throughout the gallery, interacting with staff and visitors, during public hours of operation
• Engage all visitors by initiating conversation and demonstration of programs and exhibits
• Visitor Inquiries – Understanding the major aspects of the facility in order to answer “basic” guest questions and logistic related questions related to the exhibit; referring more difficult questions to the House Manager for handling. Direct exhibit content related questions to the content information specialists in the gallery.
• Visitor Handling – Assisting the House Manager in directing or controlling guests in an emergency situation. Understanding and following all emergency procedures.
• Reminds guests of exhibit rules and expectations.
You must be able to work from November 23, 2013 through March 9, 2014
Knowledge & Abilities
• You must be able to maintain an authentic British accent for the duration of your shift.
• You must be able to continuously carry and hold a lantern weighing up to 10 pounds while delivering lines from a script.
• You must be available to work during a required training period during the dates of November 16-22 (exact dates & times to be determined)
• Must have excellent communication skills
• Must have excellent interpersonal skills
• Demonstrate excellent problem solving skills and abilities
Education and Experience
• High School diploma supplemented by post-secondary education
• Extensive Performing arts experience
• Strong public speaking skills
• Customer service experience required
Note: A Security Clearance Check is a condition of employment for the successful candidate. Must be completed prior to commencement of work and is the financial responsibility of the candidate.
Hours: Must be available for weekdays, evenings, weekends and holidays as required
Up to 37.5 hours per week
Salary: $14.13 – $18.05 per hour as per the 2013 Collective Agreement
Opening date: October 18, 2013
Closing date: October 25, 2013
There will be an audition/ interview process for the Gallery Interpreters positions from November 4 to November 8, 2013. Applicants will be asked to speak in an authentic British accent for the entire audition/interview process.
Applicants must provide a most recent headshot with resume.
Apply to: TELUS World of Science-Edmonton
11211 142 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5M 4A1
Resumes may also be e-mailed to Attention: Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference Gallery Interpreters for Harry Potter : The Exhibition in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
HARRY POTTER, characters, names and related indicia are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. Harry Potter Publishing Rights ©JKR. (s11)