Technical Director/Operations Manager
Camrose Performing Arts Centre, (CPAC) is looking for a highly motivated Technical Director/Operations Manager. Reporting to the General Manager, the Theatre Director/Operations Manager will oversee all technical and operations related to theatre productions or special events occurring in CPAC. The candidate will be required to work as a team member in the operation, set-up and strike of Theatre performances and special events, occurring in the theatre, Community Room/Studio space and other locations in and around the facility. The position will also help recruit, train and direct technical staff and volunteers.
CPAC, located on the University of Alberta’s Augustana Campus, in Camrose Alberta, is a state of the art facility slated for completion in May 2014. CPAC was built through the collaborative efforts of U of A, Augustana and the City of Camrose. The facility will accommodate a wide variety of live performance events; both community based and professional groups. The space will also include areas for art exhibits, receptions, seminars and more. The venue is 38,000 sq. ft.in total. The theatre will have 550 seats on two slopped-floor levels. The stage area is 2,700 sq. ft., and the backstage is serviced by a 70’ fly tower.
CPAC will be the first theatre in Canada to fully employ LED theatrical stage lighting, as well as LED lights throughout the remainder of the space, including dressing rooms, and on the exterior of the building. A photovoltaic installation on the fly tower will capture 142 KW of solar energy. The theatre was designed and constructed with sustainability as a prime objective. The Building design was a Green Globes level three, the target at completion is a level four.
- Cover all aspects of technical theatre, including hanging and focusing of lighting equipment, rigging equipment, set-up and strike of audio visual equipment, supervision of set load-in, installation and strike, repairing and maintaining theatrical equipment.
- Perform or monitor the operation of sound and lighting boards, other audio visual equipment, and rigging equipment during rehearsals, performances, conferences and special events.
- Act as primary site contact for all clients during rental events, liaising with the performance client, stage management and members of the public, and work collaboratively with other professional and amateur technical staff on site.
- Prepares and administers an annual operating budget for production services
- Receives and reviews all technical riders. Plans and prepares cost estimates for labour, equipment and material requirements; prepares specifications for stage material and equipment as required. Identifies supplementary services or equipment needed to fulfill riders
- Scheduling and supervision of all technical staff.
- Completion of an accredited post-secondary program in technical theatre or the equivalent combination of experience and education (5 years or more)
- A good understanding and working knowledge of theatre operations, community theatre, facility rentals and safety procedures essential to a well-managed theatre are a must.
- Ability to interpret drafted floor plans, plots, and elevations.
- Capable of working with minimal supervision and responding proactively to client requests
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with other staff, facility clients, volunteers and the public.
- Comfortable working at heights, on ladders and Genie lift
- Standard First Aid and CPR training and a valid driver’s license
- Lift and Fall Arrest training or a willingness to complete this training
- Additional training/certification would be considered as definite assets (Pyrotechnic/firearm Certification, etc.).
The hours of work are based on a 35 flex-hour work week. Work a variable schedule including days, evenings, and weekends as required. This is a permanent position commencing January 2014, with start date to be negotiated. This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Review of applications will commence Thursday October 31, 2013.
Resumes and cover letters may be sent in Word or PDF format to:
Or mailed to:
Camrose Performing Arts Centre
4901 46 Avenue