Edmonton’s foremost community theatre company is now accepting submissions for its annual new work event, “From Cradle to Stage”. For over 10 years, Walterdale Theatre has been producing original plays by local playwrights as a part of its main stage season. Plays are selected by jury, and selected playwrights will receive dramaturgy to help them in the development of their play.
• Deadline for all submissions is Sunday, September 15th, 2013.
• Playwrights will have the opportunity to work with a dramaturge to develop their scripts in late 2013 and early 2014.
• Finished scripts will be paired up with directors and production teams by January 2014.
• The selected plays will be produced May 12-17, 2014.
• Scripts must be unproduced and unpublished prior to the Walterdale production dates. If your script has had a public reading or has been work-shopped, please include its development history up to this point.
• Scripts must be typed or printed, with spaces between all speaking parts. Include your name and contact info on the first page of the script, and number your pages.
• Along with the script, please include a brief bio (50 words or less in the 3rd person) which Walterdale will use for publicity purposes if your play is chosen.
• Scripts should run approximately 60-120 minutes. Although we recognize that running times may change during play development, Walterdale reserves the right to edit script to accommodate time requirements.
• For the purpose of this competition, “local” indicates a resident of the Edmonton Area. This includes satellite communities such as Spruce Grove, Stony Plain, Sherwood Park, St. Albert and Leduc. If you are unsure if you geographically qualify to submit, please do not hesitate to inquire via email.
All submissions must be received in a hard-copy format by midnight September 15, 2013. Do not submit your original copy. If you want your script returned to you, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Unselected scripts without a SASE will be recycled. Scripts can be mailed to:
From Cradle to Stage 2013-2014
10322 83 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6E 5C3
Attention: Adam Mazerolle-Kuss, Artistic Director